a deal with the devil

The next three periods go by fast. Too fast for my liking. I guess that tends to happen when there's a specific place you don't want to be. Or a specific person you don't want to see.

Because I didn't want to face the interrogation, I've successfully managed to avoid both Sophie and my own sister between classes. I usually see them both between my second and third passing period, but thanks to the picture of the school map I still have on my phone from my first day, I was able to find a new route to the theater. Not one that I particularly enjoyed though. It was behind all of the school's main buildings and where couples choose to go to for a quick makeout session. I'm never passing by there again; one time was more than enough.

I still can't believe I blew it. I finally got the courage to approach Jake and I got shot down, not even by him. By Beau. I don't mean to be egotistic, but it's like he's purposefully out to get me. Every time I'm talking to Jake alone, even if it's at school, Beau just manages to show up. I've had my suspicions before that Sophie actually did tell her brother about how I felt toward Jake, but I know Sophie would never do that to me. Even when I approached her with the question, she sounded sincere when she said my secret was safe with her. Well, it sort of came out like, "Jo, if I was going to spill your secret, it'd be to someone with much more to offer than my brother." It was sweet...in her own way.

Even thinking about it just gets my blood boiling. From my very first day, not even an hour after I stepped foot on Crestview grounds, Beau managed to get on my bad side. That's a talent, considering I always try to see the good in everyone. Jake being friends with someone like that I'll never be able to wrap my head around. He's actually considerate and amiable, whereas his best friend is vain and infuriating. If Beau was more tolerable and way less of a douchebag, he'd actually be a lot of help. He knows Jake better than I do. He could put in a good word or two. This process would actually go a lot more smoothly using him to my benefit.

Wait. That actually doesn't sound that bad.

Am I actually...no. No. No. There's nothing good that'll come out of this. Who's to say he'll even agree?

But on the off chance he did, I'd actually get what I want. Is it really that selfish of me to want to make myself happy? I mean sure I'd only be using Beau to get to his best friend, but it's not like he'd mind. Beau's done plenty of things like that I'm sure. I'd be using the user.

Damn my heart for believing it's possible and damn my logic for being so pessimistic.

Undoubtedly, my heart wins. It wouldn't hurt to try. Of course the person that could really help me also happens to be the person I could not stand, but it never hurts to try.

I'm confronting something alright. He may not be Jake, but it carries way more progress than the original plan. Despite all the reasons why I shouldn't do this, I feel proud of myself for taking this horse by the reins and getting what I want.

The late bell rings just before I slip into my psychology class and head quietly to my seat. With my head down, I don't realize until I'm seated that it's not Jake sitting beside me. It's Beau. What the hell? My eyes dart to Beau's regular seat and sure enough there's Jake. Next to Serenity. An upset Serenity.

Beau is just casually texting on his phone beside me, not even bothering to be discreet despite the no-phones policy. "Why are you sitting here?" I try to keep my clear irritation at bay, but my voice doesn't do me justice. And of course, he does absolutely nothing to help me out. Instead, he huffs in annoyance. Oh, he's annoyed? "I asked you a question," I assert. This jerk doesn't even nod or even acknowledge my presence, he simply grunts like a child.

"No need to be a dick," I grumble finally before turning to the front of the classroom and copying the agenda off the board. We're starting a partner project today. Well at least that'll give me an excuse to move away from this fucker.