a glitch

Break wasn't all that exciting as I thought it was going to be. I mean sure, it's a nice little breather from the chaos of all the assignments being thrown at me left and right, but being at school was a helluva lot less boring. It's only been two days since break started and all I've done is try to pick up the books I have yet to read and aimlessly search Netflix for a new binge. Well, that and work on the project. It's basically mine at this point, considering I had no help at all and whatever help I did get also came with loads of unnecessary attitude.

I guess I got so used to the rush of being at school, that I forgot what it felt like to have a day where everything was just so...calm. It's been weeks since I haven't had something happen to me. Whether that fell in the lines of a test to going to the park with my friends after school to hang out. Shocker, I have other friends besides Sophie. She's introduced me to her friends and incorporated me into their group, but I'm just not as close with them as I am with Sophie.

Tonight Sophie is hosting a "friendsgiving" for us. This will be the closest me and Kat have gotten to celebrating Thanksgiving. Not a lot of people are going, just me, my sister, and like four other girls. From what I've heard, it's an annual thing for that group and each year someone different hosts it. It's not like super exclusive or anything, but it's really important for them considering it's been a tradition for years.

It's already dark when we get to the mansion. I made Kat drive because I hate driving up those weird, curving paths, especially when it's practically pitch black outside. Seriously, why the hell is it this dark at 6 pm?

When we get to our destination, everyone has already arrived and made themselves comfortable in the living room. The girls are quick to point out how we're always the last ones and our poor time management. In my defense, it was Kat's fault not mine.

The candles scattered around give the room a delicious pumpkin scent. I'm guessing by the rustling in the kitchen, the scented wax isn't the only thing contributing to the mouthwatering aroma. The couches are littered with various throw blankets, fluffy pillows and bags of snacks.

I settle down in between Sophie and Lorette, a mutual friend I met at lunch on my first day. She's sweet, despite her intimidating appearance. She comes off a bit skeptical of everyone, but once she gets comfortable with you, Lorette is actually really fun to be around. We've only hung out a handful of times since we don't have any classes together.

Five minutes in, I realize watching a movie is the last thing these girls are doing. It's merely playing as background noise to their gossip which I'm all for because even though I don't really spread gossip, I do love to listen to it. It's better to keep your ears open and your mouth shut.

"So of course I told him no because like why would I want to meddle with their relationship. They fight so much, they're freaking perfect for each other," Veronica goes on. She is constantly the source of all of our gossip. She just soaks up drama like a sponge. The couple she's going on about, Caleb and Maverick, are almost always the reason for it. Maverick is her best friend, but he's always dragging her into his relationship problems, making her fix what they broke. It's draining to even hear about it. Still, Veronica puts up with it because they've been best friends since they were kids and she feels like she "owes it to him".

Next to Veronica, Adelaide turns to me with a curious smile. "So, Jo," she begins with a voice almost taunting. Her voice is worrying enough; having everyone's eyes shift to me is even more terrifying. "Speaking of relationships..." she trails off.

I roll my eyes and bury my face into the blanket I was holding in my lap. Not because I'm blushing, but because this is the last thing I wanted to talk about today. Anything, just about anything else could have been discussed. Sophie's latest fling, how Lorette's practically married to her 5-year boyfriend, even Kat's new relationship, which is far more interesting than mine. There's something real there. She doesn't have to act, or put on a show. Meanwhile every time Satan's offspring is brought up, I have to act all giddy and flustered when in reality, all I can think about when I'm with him is kicking him or punching him or both.