momentary experiences

"Rounds up you fucking losers, hand me my money!" Luke throws his hands up in rejoice as Beau walks back only one standing pin shy of winning the game. In the meantime, Beau, Kat, and Sophie all reach for their wallets to hand him forty bucks each.

Sophie scowls as she hands Luke the money. "You better be using that to treat Sel to a nice dinner."

He shoots his smiling girlfriend a wink, "You better believe it." Though they've only been together for a few months, it's crystal clear that Luke is head over heels for her. Similar to Beau, he's had a past of sex and parties and god knows what else. Selena was the first pursuit of his that made him work for it. She told him she'd have nothing to do with him if he continued that unstable life of his because she didn't want to catch feelings for someone that didn't care about themselves.

After much groveling, he finally won her over and in turn, changed himself for the better. Beau had to sit him down once and talk some sense into that cement brain of his. It resulted in this, a healthy, blossoming relationship. Beau says he'd never seen him so happy as long as they'd been friends. Blaine once joked that they were both pussy-whipped and they laughed it off.

They were, of course, they both knew it.

Beau gives Luke his cut and sits back down beside me, wrapping his arm around my lower back to rest his hand on the entirety of my hip. My eyes flit down to his fingers. How far his wrist extends from my hip bone and the rest of his hand grazing my upper thigh. He only wore one ring, the simple black band he always wore on his middle finger. Occasionally when he spoke to the others, his hand would flex. on my side, making the veins beneath his skin protrude more than they already do. I'm helplessly laser-focused on his hands. And the things they're capable of...

"Jo," I feel him nudge me, "Jo, you alright?" Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I look up at his puzzled expression.

I nod with a grin, "Yeah, I'm fine, I was just thinking about...stuff." Your hands...

His eyes go narrow skeptically. Before he gets the chance to ask, Sophie announces, "Our Uber just got here. We're gonna get going."

Bidding them goodbye distracts Beau from my unexplained trance. All of us get up, seeing that as our own cues to head out. I grab the bag full of my presents. Sophie held off on giving me hers until she convinced the guys to get us more drinks. Then she gave all of us matching bracelets with our birthstones serving as small heart-shaped charms. Kat gave me a Target gift card in secret so I could have more reason to "give Beau hell". When I flashed it to him, he immediately noticed the red logo and groaned and whined like a child.

The overly-tinted interior windows block out how dark it is outside. The street lights have just come on, I notice. The sky is tinted a sort of lavender color, straight out of a painting.

"Hey," Kat taps my arm, pulling me aside from the rest, "How've you been? I've been meaning to ask, but I wasn't sure."

"I've been doing pretty good, you?" For once I could say that to her and it reigned true. I feel I've been doing better than I have been all these months. I feel I'm getting to where I was meant to be, stable mentally and okay with the fact that most days are always going to be the best.

I genuinely ask her how she's been because in light of all of this mess, I haven't got the chance to sit down with her and talk about it. There's a later time for that conversation, one that won't be rushed. But for now I'll settle for a quick update since I haven't exactly seen her or how she's coped with everything that happened to her as well.

She nods, watching her step as Luke opens the door for us. "That's good, I'm glad this therapy thing is working out for you. Me, I've just tried to get into new hobbies to get myself out of my head. Grant took me to the gym he usually goes to so I could get a feel for it and I liked it better than I thought."