adrenaline: part two

I turn back to Ramona at the same time as she's shoving one joint into my hand and a lighter into my pocket. We probably look sketchy as fuck to any onlookers so we have to make this exchange go fast. Dispersing the group quickly, Beau makes sure to stick by my side while Ramona recites the same plan, once to me and another to Sophie. "Make sure to have everyone out of the restroom before you light the thing or else someone's going to know what you're doing. We'll all keep guard from outside for about ten minutes or so and then we'll reserve a spot in line so by the time fifteen minutes are up, you'll be set to go, got it?"

To which I replied, "Sounds good. But just so you all know, I sincerely hate you guys."

Once we reach the bathroom, which is probably the furthest from the main park and the most hidden, I rush into it with the joint tucked in the front pocket with the lighter. Sophie told me to text her when everyone was out of the restroom and it worked out perfectly because there's only about five women in here, one of them with a child.

I still can't fucking believe I'm going to get high at an amusement park.

Truthfully, if this gets me banned from the place, I'd thank them so the other would have no reason to drag me here ever again.

After about ten minutes, I do one last sweep to check that it's all cleared out before I shoot Sophie a text. I dip into the nearest stall and start to light the joint when I hear somebody come in. For a minute there, my heart begins to race thinking it's an employee catching onto our suspicious activities and I'll be busted right here and now. All that alarm subsides when I hear a soft knocking on the stall door.

Sliding the lock to the side to open the door, I come face to face with Beau. This stall is definitely too small to fit the both of us standing side by side, but we make it work. "Fuck, you scared me," I chuckle.

"Don't tell me you were going to smoke this without me," he chuckles, lifting my arm up to put the unlit joint between us.

"You sure?" I ask worriedly, "you're not going to like...relapse?" I say quietly. I know briefly about his past and I don't want to be the reason it comes back to haunt him. One joint isn't worth seeing him go through that kind of pain.

He shakes his head nonchalantly and takes the rolled up paper from between my fingers. "No, I'm fine when it comes to this stuff," he reassures me. He brings the end up to my lips, making me part them for him. Motioning for the lighter in my opposite hand, I give it to him to light the other end, causing a strong scent to fill the small cubicle we're in and undoubtedly the bathroom itself.

I inhale the smoke once and already feel its effect swirling through my lungs. Branching out into every part of me and relaxing me little by little. "Remember the first time we did this?" I grin in reminiscence, passing him the joint.

He hums in agreement as he takes the end into his mouth and inhales it with indulgence, surely taking a bigger breath than I did. "The first time we ever really connected," I continue in a soft voice, even though there's no one around to hear us.

"Through a few breaths of a cigarette," he says in a tone just as soft and airy as mine. Bringing the end up to my lips once more, he lets me inhale the smoke through his fingers. Our eyes remain locked on each other the entire time, equally filled with remembrance and attraction. "Now here we are getting high together at a fucking park."

"One for the books, hey?" I chuckle, some of the smoke coming out with it.

"You can feel it right?" I whisper as I ghost my hands up his arms. Gripping his shoulders to ease my body closer to his. Bringing my back off of my side of the stall and using him for support instead.