Chapter 9: Savvy

When I left Nate's last night I couldn't stop thinking about him. The way he smelled like body wash and rum, the way his dark waves fell on his forehead. The way his gray eyes made me feel like I was burning up in all the right places when he looked at me. I tossed and turned all night. Dreams of us together, of him touching me and loving me. Even now as I sit on the bus next to Letty I can't stop thinking of him. How his hands would feel all over my body. How his lips would taste on my tongue. Would he nibble at my skin? Would he pull my hair? Or is he a gentle lover? Would he want-

No. No! Stop it! I can't be thinking of him like this. Our almost kiss was bad enough. Now it's got my mind going crazy! Him and his stupid fucking hotness. God dammit.

I look over at my best friend who's typing away on her phone while listening to music and I let out a sigh. I can't even talk to her about any of this because we made rules. What happens between us, stays between us. Ugh! It's bad enough that she's already asked me a few times what's going on between Nate and I, but my response is always the same. We're just friends. It's not a lie. That's all we are. That's all we're going to be. But what if I want more? No! No. I won't go there. Nate and I are friends. He said it himself, he's never had a friend who's a girl and I don't want to ruin that for him. I also don't want to inflate his ego in thinking that when he does have girl friends they're all going to fall for him. To be honest, they probably would. Who could resist those piercing wolf eyes and those luscious chocolate waves? If there's a girl out there, I must find her and beg for her secret because damn am I headed in the wrong direction here.

I must have fallen asleep for the rest of the drive because the sudden announcement of our arrival at the bus station makes me jump. I rub my eyes of sleep, grab my things and head off the bus. Grabbing Letty's hand I lead her out of the station and to the closest Subway entrance. Haling a cab from the city into Brooklyn would be a waste of money although it would save me some time from my family. The second we hop on the F line I smile at Letty plopping down in an open seat. "Jeez. I always forget how crazy the city. It feels like forever since I've been here." I laugh when she blows her hair out of her face, looking a little disheveled and out of place. I shrugged my shoulders, "Sometimes I miss it, and other times I'm so happy to be away from it all." Letty nods her head in understanding and I use the time to check my phone.

My mother has texted a grand total of fifteen times-all of which I've ignored- but the one text that catches my attention is the one from Nate.

Nate: Happy thanksgiving, princess. I'm here if you need some help surviving today ;)

I smile down at my phone, typing and erasing, trying to come up with a response. Letty watches me with narrowed eyes before she says, "Who are you texting?" I try to act casual even though my heart is pounding on the inside. Screaming at me to tell her what's going on. Tell her your secret thoughts! Tell her how you think Nate is the sexiest man alive, even though you won't do anything because you don't want to mess up being friends but also because you have no idea what on earth you're doing and he has all the experience in the world! I shake my head trying to rid it of it's thoughts before clearing my throat. "Just Nate. He said happy thanksgiving." She narrows her eyes at me, trying to read through my bullshit. I'm saved when the overhead voice announces our stop and we push through the people in order to escape the subway.

It's a few blocks from the stop to my mom's project in Redhook but when we finally arrive, after stopping at the bakery down the street, it takes me a few minutes outside to gather up the courage to go in. The tiny little apartment brings back so many memories that I sometimes wish I could forget. Knocking on the door my brother answers with a scowl, "Well it's about fucking time. What the fuck took you so long? Do you not know how to read fucking directions or do you just think people work on your schedule?" I nod in greeting, "Nice to see you too, Brian. Where's Sylvie?"