Chapter 22: Nate

My head has been spinning since Friday. I've barely been able to concentrate during practice let alone my classes but thank God I brought it this weekend for the game otherwise coach would've had my ass. I can't stop thinking about Savvy and for the life of me I don't think I ever want to. I know we're supposed to be friends but there's just something about her.

I swallow down those thoughts, scolding myself for even going there. No. No! She is your one and only girl friend right now and you are not ruining that Nate! But fuck me if I don't want to make her come every day for the rest of my life because to see her like that...to be the reason she makes those faces. The reason she makes those sounds. God, I'm getting hard just thinking about it. It's the best goddamn feeling in the world and I don't know if I can give that up and shit, I don't know what I'm going to do when someone else wants to be the guy to bring her to climax. Fury burns in my body just thinking about it.

I let out a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. The girl in front of me turns around, narrowing her eyes at me. Apparently I'm doing a shit job concentrating in class and the girl in front has had enough of me. I flash her a grin and watch as her hard face softens before turning around to pay attention to the professor once more. God, I hate this. What the fuck has gotten into me! I whip out my phone deciding that I need to get this out of my system. I need to see her and I don't give a shit why.

Me: Hey, princess. Are you free tomorrow?

Princess: Tomorrow's Wednesday. You know I work till 7 and then usually go home to watch Chicago Pd...why? What's up?

I laugh. I don't know whether to be proud of myself for actually knowing all that because of how much time we've spent together or to feel like a completely idiot for asking her when I knew that's what she was going to be doing. Savvy may like to party but she's also very predictable when it comes to her books and T.V. shows. She likes to live vicariously through the characters romance...I guess that's why she's an English Lit major.

The red head turns around again, scowling at me and I mouth 'sorry' before she lets out a heavy sigh and returns to her position. If only I were actually paying attention to the professor maybe I would get annoyed with someone being as obnoxious as me right now.

Me: I think we need to change up those plans. DVR CPD and let me take you out on our date. I need some advice. Also, there's a red head in front of me who I'm pretty sure wants to chop off my head. How do I remedy this?

Princess: Um...why?

Me: Cause I can't concentrate so I keep texting and bouncing my leg. I'm clearly annoying her. I said sorry but I don't think she's having it.

Princess: Well then stop. Pay attention dumbass and maybe she won't hate you. Or if all else fails flash her one of those smiles you do that make girls panties melt.

Me: I have a smile that can make girls' panties melt? Please tell me which one it is. Have I used it on you? Have your panties melted because of one of my smiles? I know you've melted because of my tongue and fingers but damn I didn't know all I had to do was smile.

Princess: STFU! I hate you so much right now. You know damn well what smile I'm talking about, don't be an asshole. Save that for Brooks.

Me: Ha! Fine. Be ready tomorrow. I'll pick you up from work and we can go from there. Dress nice and act like it's a date with someone you actually like. Okay?

Princess: Fine. See you tomorrow.

Princess: Also, just so you know, if it was a real date I wouldn't be accepting if you asked me through text...

Me: Noted. See, this is why I need you.

My heart hammered at the thought of taking Savvy out but my smile and good mood soon faded when realization set in. I now had to figure out what in the hell we were going to do.

...

Seven o'clock and I'm standing outside of the library holding a bouquet of flowers flipping the fuck out. I can't stop pacing and my palms are sweaty as shit. I don't know why I'm so nervous, it's not like I haven't been alone with Savannah and it's not like...what did she say... a real date. So why should I care if she has a good time?

She walks out of the heavy wooden doors and my heart stops. My breath in caught in my throat and I'm utterly speechless as she makes her way down the stairs to me. I follow her every movement. The sway of her hips in the form fitting navy dress, that touches just above her knee. The small steps she takes in the black, stiletto booties. The way her hair blows in the wind as she approaches me.

"Wow," I breath out when she makes it to me. I can't stop staring at her and I smile when I see a small blush rise on her cheeks. She pulls her black faux leather jacket closer to her chest, a sign that she feels shy. "You don't look too bad yourself there, stud." I smile before looking down at my dark washed jeans and dark blue button down shirt. I let out a chuckle at the fact that we had somehow coordinated.

When I look back up, Savvy is watching me. A glisten in her eyes that's making me want to do nothing more but lean down and capture her lips. I smile before clearing my throat and handing over the flowers, "These are for you." She smiles at the bouquet of roses. If there's one thing my mom taught me about women, it's that the little things matter the most. You can buy a girl a diamond necklace. You can buy her a car. Hell, you can buy her a goddamn house, but she's still going to remember the one boy who knew her favorite candy without him having to ask. The one boy who knew her favorite song to play when she was sad. There's little memories we keep with us always, she would say, but the things we always remember are the ones who made an impression without us having to tell them what to do. Don't wait for her to tell you the important things, Nathaniel, if you truly care about a girl, notice them first and she will forever remember you.

I knew from the third night that we hung out that Savvy liked roses. Not just any roses, but red, white and yellow roses. There were pictures of them all over her notebooks, her scrap paper, hell, even a cover of one of her writing journals looked like it was specifically made with those roses on them. I never asked her why, never felt that I needed to. When she was ready to tell me, she would. I watched as her eyelids fluttered before reaching down to grab her hand. She looked up at me, meeting my eyes with a small gasp. "Ready to go?" She nodded, "Thank you for my flowers. They're beautiful."

"You're welcome, princess."

She smiled again, leaning in to sniff the flowers, "You really didn't have to, you know. How did you know I liked roses anyway?"

I looked over at her, and winked, "I have my ways." I shrugged, "I told you it was going to be like we were on a date. With a date I would bring them flowers, and with you, I know these are your favorite."

"But how do you know?" Her voice wasn't angry. She wasn't accusing me or asking just to ask. She sounded like she was lost in a daydream. Happy that someone had noticed her favorite flower and on cloud nine that she had received them.

I stopped mid stride, "Sav, is this the first time someone has ever given you flowers?"

She blushed, and I didn't even need her to tell me. I knew the answer was yes and it filled my heart with so much joy to know that I was yet another one of her firsts. I leaned in a little closer, lowering my voice. Cupping her cheek in my palm, I said, "You deserve flowers every single day for the rest of your life, Savvy. You're the kind of girl a guy should spoil every second that he can. Please. Please, don't settle for anything less. I paid attention. That's how I knew what your favorite flowers were. They're plastered on almost everything with a surface that you carry around." I chuckled and she blushed, looking down at our shoes. I tilted her chin up so she could meet my eyes. "Let's get to dinner. We still have so much more to this date than flowers, princess."