Chapter 29: Savvy

When I wake, it takes me a few minutes to recollect where I am and the drama that had happened the night before. Letty was supposed to take Brooks to his favorite spot. To tell him she loved him, officially. Nate and I had planned to hang out, to be together while they were off doing their thing. But everything changed. Everything broke, the second we found out the real reason the guys were in our lives.

Letty's sitting at the counter in the kitchen when I finally get up from her bed. Her back is to me as she stares out into the living room with a mug in her hand.

"Hey, babe." My voice is hoarse from sleep as I try to talk, "How you doing?"

My best friend turns around slowly, a small smile flits across her face. "I'm doing alright, what about you?" I nod my response. I'm not going to take away from her pain. Her boyfriend broke her heart while Nate and I were nothing more than friends. That's what I keep telling myself. That's what I need to tell myself.

I watch as Letty's shoulders slump. She's trying to hold herself together because she never lets things bother her. She puts up a shield like I do but we can't hide from each other. That's why I love her so much. I walk over after grabbing a water from the fridge and grab her into a hug. I kiss her cheek before pulling away. "You know what? Fuck them!" Her eyes pop open a little and I nod my head. "Fuck. Them. We are not going to let them hurt us. This isn't us, Letty. This isn't you. Since when do we let guys make us cry? Make us drown ourselves in junk food and tears?"

She chuckles, but it's forced. "We don't need men to drown ourselves in junk food."

I smile, "I know, but you know what I mean." She nods letting out a heavy sigh. We stare out at the living room for a little bit before I can't take the silence anymore.

"Alright. Enough of this. We are going to do anything and everything to move on. To get these assholes out of our head. Starting now." I pull out my phone and turn up the speaker blasting some throw backs. Letty instantly starts smiling and I pull her up to dance with me in the kitchen.

It's New Year's Day and instead of celebrating last night, we were up crying which is no way to start the new year. So I'm taking matters into my own hands and I'm making sure we start the year off right.

"There's a party going on at one of the dorms tonight. We're going." Letty looks at me, getting ready to protest before she thinks better of it. She nods her head in agreement and I smile at the thought of me and my bestie going out, dressing up and getting our minds off of everything.

The music's been blasting all day and we opened up the wine a little early today but my nerves are calm and my head is clear and happy. That is until my phone vibrates with his name. My stomach drops ten feet and I instantly look to my door making sure Letty is no where to be found. I hear her padding around in her room getting ready for us to go out and I quietly go and close my door. I feel like I'm hiding a secret but I need to be alone for this.

I sit down on my bed, clutching my phone in my hand, fighting with my inner thoughts. Do I open it or do I say fuck it and instantly delete his text? I look up to the ceiling, letting out a deep breath before sucking down my pride and my feelings. I'm a big girl and I've dealt with shit like this my entire life. Dealt with the feeling of not being wanted my entire life. I can handle this. I need to handle this.

With a hard swallow I open the text message.

Nate: We need to talk. Please Savvy, let me explain.

I fight with myself as my hands hover over the keyboard. I don't want to respond. I don't want to hear him out. But I also don't want to be a coward.

Me: No, Nate. I don't want to hear anymore lies. Not now.

His reply is instant.

Nate: Princess, please! I couldn't betray him. There was no winning in this situation! Please, please just talk to me. Let me explain the entire thing. Please.

I'm about to respond when my bestie knocks on my door, "Hey, babe. You almost ready to go?" I look up smiling at her, she's dressed like fire. Skinny jeans that hug every curve, a super low hanging tank that exposes her cleavage almost to her nipples, accentuated by a necklace falling in between her smooshed together boobs. Her chocolate hair is tied up in a high pony tail, showcasing her hoop earrings and her mascara and eyeliner are as dark as night.

"Damn girl, you look hot!"

"And you look like you're not ready..." she lets her question hang in the air between us. I shoot up off the bed, not ready to get into anything about last night and fly into my tiny closet. I grab a similar outfit to hers, letting my midriff show as well as the little cleavage I own. My makeup and hair are already done, so I toss on a choker, some hoop earrings to match my girls and for dramatic effect I grab my red lipstick. After applying mine I reach over and throw some red on my besties lips, making sure they look red and plump.

"Let's get outta here." I smile at her before grabbing my things and smacking her on the butt.

When we show up at the dorms, its a wild scene. People are drunk off their asses and dry humping in every corner possible. The entire floor is crowded with a sea of bodies, the stench of weed drags in the air and music blasts from all around. Letty and I stumble our way from one room to another grabbing drink after drink. Drowning our minds and thoughts. Getting rid of any remembrance of Brooks and Nate. I'm dancing in a room with Letty when all of a sudden I feel arm's wrap around my waist, guiding me with the beat of the music against their hard body.

My mind is swimming with the alcohol and my body is enjoying every touch. I'm lost in the feelings of the hands on me, secretly wishing and hoping that they're Nate's. That he somehow found me and yesterday never happened.

I close my eyes, getting lost in the music and I feel the hands pull me back more onto the slowly hardening penis. I bite down on my lip as I swing my hips from side to side. My eyes open when I feel fingers grazing up and down the slight piece of skin showing on my tummy. Letty's in front of me, lost in the music and drinking from her cup. She's not paying a lick of attention to what's going on around her and I don't blame her because we came here to get out of our heads and escape from the pain that the guys have caused.

The fingers inch higher, beginning to go under my tight shirt and I feel myself gasp. I spin around and the guy pulls me in closer, his hands go straight to my ass, gripping me hard and thrusting his jean clad erection against me. Bile instantly rises in my throat when I see his disgusting smile as he begins to leans down toward me. His lips part and I go with my instincts. I push off of his chest as much as I can, it's enough for me to swing up my knee and land it right into his junk. He keels over, "You fucking bitch!" He hollers before collapsing to the floor. I grab Letty's hand as people look around at the commotion and we make our way out of the dorms.

I decide it's best for us to go home and get the hell away from all of these fucking idiots. I watch Letty go to her room before I make my way to mine. Collapsing on the bed, I start shaking in sobs. I hated the way that man's hands felt on me but even more I hate the fact that all I want to do is call Nate and beg him to come over. I want to talk to him. I want him to make me feel better. I want him to tell me that what we had was more than just us being friends. More then just a pact.

My hands hover over his name on my phone as tears poor down my cheeks, hitting my pillowcases and I curl up into the fetal position. I stare at his name for what feels like hours, until the tears stop falling and my breathing evens out. I need to know, even if we don't talk anymore, I need to know. I stake a shaky breath in before typing out my text message.

Me: Was it all a lie? Was what we had nothing more then a rouse?

My heart pounds against my chest as I wait for his response. Not even twenty seconds later I see the bubbles appear.

Nate: Princess, none of it was a lie. What you and I have is something so much more. Please, just let me explain. There are things I need to tell you. Things you need to know.

I hover over the keyboard, taking another breath before closing out of the messages and turning off my phone. I let a few more tears fall before I close my eyes and will sleep to come. He told me it wasn't a lie. That's what I needed to know. Now it's just the matter of actually believing him.