Chapter 37: Savvy

He told me he loved me. My smile has been permanently glued to my face ever since. I'm pretty sure the people in my Contemporary Author's lecture think I had issues because I can't stop smiling.

After our confessions yesterday, Nate kissed me and it was something I'd never felt before. Just like the first kiss with him, I could feel it all the way down to my toes. It was like electricity coursed through my veins and nothing else in the world existed but us. I let out a dreamy sigh just thinking about it.

I never truly knew what love felt like and from all of my romance novels I yearned to know what it was like. And then I met Nathaniel Burrows. He flew into my life like a tornado. Swept me up, threw me for a loop and I've been freefalling ever since. I look down, my smile growing even more as I gather my books to leave the lecture. A few girls look over at me with weird looks but it doesn't bother me. Nothing bothers me because he loves me. He truly loves me.

But then my smile falters for a second when I see Nate waiting outside the building with three girls surrounding him. All smiling and chatting away but it's the blonde girl with her hand stroking his arm that's caught my attention and I can feel the growl bubbling up inside me begging to be released. Told you no one would ever want you. My mothers voice pops in my head but I shake the thought away. No. I'm done listening to her.

I suck down a deep breath before stomping my way over to my...boyfriend? Is he my boyfriend? We never discussed that yesterday. A funny feeling swarms in my stomach at the thought. What if he loves me but doesn't want to be exclusive? He said himself that he hasn't had a girlfriend in a long time. What if he doesn't know how to be in a relationship? Not that I have any experience. Oh, God, how is this going to work.

My steps slow down as all of the frantic thoughts cross my mind but the second Nate looks over I swallow them and put on my poker face. Show the world what they like to see. The voice says in my head and I nod to myself as I walk over the rest of the way.

"Hey, princess," Nate smiles at me and steps out of the blonde's embrace. He leans down, kisses my cheek and gives me one of his panty melting smiles. I notice the girls in the background and try my best to give a genuine smile back but I'm pretty sure it fails because Nate gives me a look.

"What's wrong?" He takes a step back, putting his hands on my waist and I stand there staring into his eyes debating whether or not I should express my insecurities or just suck it up and deal. I go with the latter. Plastering a smile on my face I say, "Nothing. I just gotta get to my shift at the library. I'll see you later. Okay?"

"Um...okay..." Nate gives me a quizzical look but I don't let him delve any deeper, hastily moving out of his arms and hustling over to the library. What the hell are you doing Savannah? You should have been straight up. Honest. You should have marched over there are tore that girls talons off of your man! He told you he loved you yesterday and you said the same and now you're just going to let some other chick try to claim him? What is with you?!

I shake my head as my self conscious criticizes me. The bitch is right and I debate turning around and staking my claim but instead I let out a groan, slam the library door open and get to work on my shift.

My mind is running rampant with all of the things I should have said. All of the things I should have done when I saw Nate today. He wouldn't have been waiting for me surely, if we weren't together. Right? I let out a small groan and Harlow jumps from behind me.

"You alright, Sav?"

I look up at her with apologetic eyes, "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you. Just have a lot of shit on my mind right now."

"Anything you wana talk about?" She smiles at me and it's the most sincere thing that I automatically feel my defensive walls falling. I swear this girl is like the sweetest thing, I have no idea how she hasn't crumbled with my attitude yet. Just wait till she meets Letty this weekend. I laugh to myself at my inner thoughts. I had invited Harlow out to Wade's this weekend for a girls night with me and Letty. We plan on catching up and getting drunk. I'm hoping Harlow can hold her own but from the looks of it it seems like there's a stronger girl beneath the surface than I realize.