Chapter 27: Nate

My heart is beating uncontrollably. I have to blink a few times to make sure that this is reality and Savannah actually just told me to kiss her. I know that we kissed once before but I convinced myself that it was only because we were on a date. So I didn't know if it meant something to Savannah or if it was all just for the ruse. But it sure as hell meant something to me.

We approach a red light, right around the corner from where the auction is taking place and I look over at Sav once more. "Are you sure?"

She rolls her eyes, "If I have to say it again then it's not even worth it." I laugh at her response. I love when she gets all sassy. The second my truck rolls to a stop at the light, I reach over, grabbing the back of her neck and leaning in toward her. The smile on her face is glorious and I know it matches mine. The moment our lips touch it's like everything in the world falls away. It feels so right. Like this is where I was meant to be. This is what I was meant to do. Kiss Savannah George for all eternity.

The whimpers that come out of her mouth make me groan and I try to shift closer, biting her lower lip and dragging it between my teeth. Her tiny gasp makes me smile, leaning in closer and tilting her head so I can devour her deeper. I need to taste every little bit of her. I can feel the strain behind my zipper and we both jump, nearly hitting the roof of my truck when the car behind me honks the horn. The light has turned green and I don't know for how long but when Savvy and I break apart we laugh and try our best to compose ourselves.

When we arrive at the auction things move in a blur. All of the teams have arrived, the auction has started and I try my hardest to keep my hands off of Savvy as best I can. Mason, Drew and Ronnie have kept us entertained but there's still tension with Ky. He keeps pushing Brooks, mentioning Letty and him and trying to bring up the dare as much as he can. I try my best to calm the situation, mainly because I don't want Brooks to get in trouble in front of the scouts and coaches here but also because this is not the time and place I want to have to explain to Savannah what happened. Why I lied to her.

I try to keep my focus on who's here, what potential contacts I can make for a career and just to have fun. When it's our turn to go on stage for the auction my grin is permanently etched into my skin because to watch Letty and Savvy keep girls from bidding on me just proves that there's something between Savvy and I am I'm not imagining it. I had asked her to bid on me, secretly wishing she'd win, but I didn't know she would go through such extremes to make sure that she did, in fact, win.

When our table is done being auctioned off, we cascade down the stairs only to be stopped by Coach Jenkins, some NFL coaches and scouts. My heart is a stampede. My adrenaline causing me to zone in on the people in front of me and the career I've wanted for so long. I'm lost in the trance of hockey talk when Brooks hits my chest asking me if I know where the girls are. The coaches and scouts leave us but my heart kicks up for other reasons as I scan the area.

I promised Brooks that I would help him keep an eye on the girls. We anticipated Ky being here and being a dick. Figured he was going to go out of his way to mention to Letty something about the dare but Brooks promised that he was going to talk to Letty about it tonight and in turn I was going to talk to Savvy. I had it all planned and hoped that she would understand why I had to keep it a secret. Why I couldn't betray my friend even if she did become to mean something more to me.

We've blocked everything that Kyle has thrown our way so far this evening but right now my heart's in overdrive because I have no idea where the girls are and all of the scenarios of what he could say to them are running through my head. I find them at the bar and let out a gigantic sigh of relief, hitting Brooks and smiling as he mirrors my relief.

It isn't until a few seconds later that my heart plummets to the floor and any relief I had just felt vanishes from my body. Ky comes up behind us, smirks as he talks to Brooks and gestures back over to the girls who I've just noticed are talking to Serena. The girl Ky brought as his date whom he knows the girl's and us have an issue with. She's one of those puck bunnies who likes to make their way around the team but it doesn't really matter if the guy wears a hockey jersey or not, anyone who's on a team is her type. If that wasn't bad enough, she's just an overall horrible person with zero manners and attitude that makes scrooge look like an angel.

The second Letty glances over at Brooks, my mouth goes dry and I feel the sting of the impact. I know it's coming and there's nothing I can do about it. Savvy looks over moments later and I want to collapse to the floor and run after her at the same time. I've never felt this way before. The guilt, the betrayal I've caused. it's almost too much to bare with the look on her face. They run out of the door, Brooks running after Letty and me following to get to Savvy. If I can just get to her. If I can just explain.

This isn't between her and I. It was never between her and I. This is my best friend and her best friend. This is their thing. But is it?

I kept secret from her. Important secrets. I lied to her and it wasn't about something small. This is something that could make or break us. Something that can alter us but I need her to understand. I need her to acknowledge that my hands were tied as much as I wanted to tell her.

The second we get outside, the bitter cold hits my face, stinging my eyes so much that they're tearing but it's not the only reason.

Brooks is screaming Letty's name, people have started to follow us out, their eyes had traced our every move when we began running out of the building like mad men. When she finally turns around in the middle of the parking lot, I cringe. I feel like I've been slapped and the glare isn't even aimed at me. I glance over at Savvy, her figure making my heart clench. When her browns meet mine, I'm frozen in my spot. Standing in the parking lot next to my best friend, listening as he pleads his case to the girl he's in love with, I can't speak. I can't look away. It's like a car wreck, I can't look away, even if I know what I'm going to witness is going to effect me for the rest of my life.

My eyes are trapped on hers. I'm begging her to understand, begging her to listen, to give me a chance to explain. Only, my voice isn't working. No words are coming out. So I stand there, staring at the girl who owns my heart. The girl who's become not only my best friend but the girl who I could see spending my life with and I'm watching as her eyes shift from hurt to hate and my heart breaks because now I know that she doesn't feel the same. Not at all.