Chapter 30: Nate

I toss and turn, constantly checking my phone as I wait for Savvy to respond. I know she's not going to. I know that I have to give her time and wait for her to hear me out but it's so hard. I can't even look at Brooks right now because I'm so furious. I know that it's not fully his fault and I take responsibility for not telling Savvy when her and I started getting close but I couldn't. I had to protect my best friend but I should have pushed harder for him to tell Letty when I saw how much he was falling for her. When the four of us started to become closer.

It stopped being just about him and her and it became about all of us as a group. As a family. The times we've spent together. The little things we've done together not only on the daily but the things we did during important times, like Christmas. Those girls mean so much to me, Savannah even more and right now I hold Books responsible. And don't even get me started on Kyle and that piece of trash girl he keeps around his finger.

I've never wanted to put my hands on a woman but the sly smile I saw from her the other night after she told the girls, curdled my stomach. Something is not right with that girl and I want nothing to do with her. I get that the dare is some sort of tradition. Some game that all of the athletes play, and in the beginning I didn't have an issue with it. It was all in good fun. But these girls came into our lives and changed everything. I don't know what I'm going to do if Savannah doesn't hear me out. If she doesn't forgive me.

I finally give up on sleep when I hear the loud moans and groans filling the frat house. I'm sure most of the guys are getting laid right now and this is why I would usually be sleeping at Brooks' house but I'm pretty sure if I see him again right now I'll punch him again. And I don't want to ruin our friendship, as angry as I am right now, I know Brooks is a good dude and I love him like a brother.

So I grab my shit and storm off to the gym. I need to clear my mind and the workout facility on campus is usually empty so early in the morning.

Unfortunately for me when I get there Brooks and some other guys are there taking up the space and the quiet that I wanted for myself.
"Fucking fantastic," I say to myself before walking over to the bar of weights. Brooks side eyes me as I sit down and prepare to do some reps. After a few beats he walks over and stands quietly behind me in an attempt to spot me.

"I'm Sorry, man," He lets out a heavy sigh. I keep my eyes train straightahead staring deep at the ceiling. I can hear his heartbeat and I feel for the guy. "I know, B, but I just can't right now."

"I know," another sigh leaves his lips and I close my eyes. I don't want to hurt him even more. I know he's going through shit right now because he truly did feel something for Letty but I can't just let this go right away.

"How are you doing? How is she?" I don't have to ask who he's talking about. After Sav slapped me the other night I had punched Brooks because I was so pissed. I wanted him to know how mad I was and how badly he screwed up by not telling her sooner. He might not understand why Savvy's upset. To him it's probably because he broke her best friends heart and she's just angry because of it but I know better.

Savvy and I have shared secrets and gotten to know each other better then I think anyone has gotten to know me in a while. I know the little things she hasn't said and I knew that when she found out I was keeping something from her, lying to her, it would be a big deal. She made a point to make sure we told each other the truth. Made a point to keep no lying to each other in the pact and I know it has something to do with her family. With her past. It's a big thing for her, honesty, and I fucked it up even though I was trying to protect my brother.

I take a breath, putting the bar down and sitting up. Sweat drips off my back and I stare straight ahead. "We haven't talked. I'm not sure. But I gotta get her to forgive me, man. You gotta make this shit right with Letty." I turn around to look at him. His face is filled with sorrow and I can see the tears brimming his eyes. Brooks nods at me, "I know, man. I will. I promise."

Unspoken words pass between us before Brooks walks away to the punching bag and I get up to grab a thing of water.

"Yo, Nate, dude, that girl you're always with looked fine as hell last night." One of the football players says from behind me. He's doing some reps on his arms with the rest of his buddies. I turn around and two of them shake their head at their friend. But him and the blond dude next to him have shit-eating grins on their faces and it's taking a lot for me not to knock it off their faces right now.

"Excuse me?" My eyes narrow at the dude looking at me. His teeth are slightly chipped and his hair is in a man bun. He gives me the creeps a bit but I know I can take him if I needed to.

"We know she ain't your girl by the way she was grinding up on my dudes dick last night. She's fine as hell, man. How come you ain't tap that yet?" His buddies chimes in and I swing my gaze to his. Dark brown eyes contrast his blonde hair and I hear their buddies in the background silently ask them what the fuck they're doing.

I nod to them, "You should listen to them. They sound smart." Man bun steps closer to me, and I feel my grip tighten on my water bottle.

"Her skin was so soft, man. Like silk. That tight body, so lean. But damn, the way she moved. Fuck my dick gets hard just thinking about it." I let out a growl and I guess it was louder than I thought because I see Brooks look up from the punching bag. He senses the tension in the air because he starts wiping his brow with a towel and making his way over.

"Too bad you wasted your time dude. You shoulda tapped that when you had the chance because the minute she gets a taste of me she ain't gonna want anything else. Except maybe my dude's." Man bun taps knuckles with his blonde friend and I lose it. I throw my water bottle at blondie's head, distracting him while I throw my fist at man bun. I let out a slight smile when I see blood dripping from his mouth and I can only hope I chipped some more of his teeth. Dude fucking deserves it talking about Savvy that way. Fucker deserves worse.

Brooks siddles up next to me, ready to throw some fists but the other two guys surprise us when they put their friends in head locks waiting for them to tap out. When they do they tell them to get the fuck outta the gym and mind their mouths before they get worse. The guys look at me with sorrow, before apologizing for the assholes. I nod and watch as they walk away.

After a few beats of silence Brooks finally asks, "Are you and Savannah together, man? I know you had something but I didn't know if you made it serious or not."

I shake my head, "I won't lie to you and tell you that she's not more than a friend to me but I just need to talk to her, man. She's gotta know." Brooks looks at me, eyeing me carefully before nodding. "We'll make it right, Nate. I promise."

I nod, "We better, because until then I don't think my mind's guna be in the right place."

B returns my nod, "Yeah, man. Me either."