SEVENTY TWO

"Let's not do this now, Ashley," Athene huffed.

The blonde witch was staring at Ashley Smith through narrowed eyes. She could hardly believe the words that had come out of her mouth, the woman she had thought about every day for the past five years of her life, the woman who she had pushed the thoughts of Fred and Tonks out of her mind for. All that love that Athene had stored, yet the witch had shown no compassion. 

She knew she didn't deserve much, but she felt that she deserved some, and Ashley was yet to give any.

"Athene, I'm sorry."

"For which part?" She snapped back.

Ashley sighed and saw down opposite Athene, she envied the woman. Where they sat was beautiful, Athene saw this whenever she wanted, Ashley just saw the same four walls. It didn't seem fair.

"For being... I don't know...unforgiving..."

"I don't give a fuck about your forgiveness anymore, Ashley. " Athene said angrily, "just why bloody write me letters and get my hopes up if you're just going to be a bitch when we see each other again?"

Ashley sighed again, "I guess I deserve that."

Athene snorted and rolled her eyes, looking up towards where Fleur was ascending up the steps.

"She's protective of you," Ashley observed, following the witch's eyesight.

"She's my best friend."

"She's nice."

"I know she is."

"'Thene... come on..."

"What?"

"You're being bloody difficult!"

"Merlin, sorry, perhaps I wouldn't be like this if you hadn't made a comment about me 'killing' you as soon as I walked through the door."

"I shouldn't have said that, I panicked."

"I was panicked too but I didn't dig at you."

"What's there to dig at?"

"Fucking hell," Athene groaned, standing up. Ashley grabbed onto her hand and pulled her back down again.

"Sorry, I'm sorry. I don't know how to act around you, Athene."

"I should be easier than ever to be around now," she huffed.

"We have both changed."

"We've both grown up, you mean."

"Exactly, it's different."

"So there's no need for us to be friends," Athene said sharply.

"'Thene, please. I'm trying to apologise."

"You're not doing very well."

"I-"

Athene shook her head and stood up, "look, Ash, you made several comments about me, called one of my dead best friends a death eater, and tried to turn Charlie, a man who has been my friend for the past few years of my life, against me. I don't want to speak about this at the moment."

Ashley stood up to face the witch and chuckled a little, "really, Athene? You're upset over a few comments, fucking comments? I lived with the fact that my best friend would murder me for years, and you're mad over comments? You're still the bloody same, the entire world revolves around Athene Malfoy."

"You don't know how wrong you are."

"Yeah? You still don't care, you have shown no remorse for what you did."