NINETEEN

"Must we invade my mind?" 

"Yes, Miss Malfoy, we must."

Athene scrunched her nose at that. "Don't call me that."

"What? Your name?"

"My name isn't Malfoy. It's Athene."

Remus let out an exasperated sigh. "Alright, Athene, yes we must. Occlumency is a necessary skill, You-Know-Who is a talented Legilimens."

"Are you?"

"I'm alright," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "Your mind needs to be blank and empty."

"Sounds easy," Athene said, rolling her eyes.

"No one said it would be simple. You need to rid yourself of emotion and thoughts. Anything bothering you let it go. Do not let me in."

Athene nodded, still completely unsure how she was expected to just have no thoughts whatsoever.

"Brace yourself. You won't do it the first time."

"Legilimens!" He shouted, with his wand raised at her. Athene strained and moaned as she felt herself becoming increasingly vulnerable. She tried to push back.

"You are weak." Came the cold voice of Lucius.

"I am trying as hard as I can." 

"Try harder, or your mother will suffer."

"Okay I-"

"Crucio," and then there was screaming.

The scene faded out and Remus found himself standing in a room which appeared to be Athene's, she was there too, kicking and punching her wall with tears down her face. She looked to be about eighteen. He could feel her grief and fear.

"Athene-" Came the soft voice of Narcissa, "he knows, about your professor seeing your boggart."

She turned to face her, "how was I meant to hide it? I practically begged the professor not to make me do it. He made me." 

Narcissa walked towards her, smiling slightly. She cupped her daughter's chin and said, "Athene, Malfoy women do not beg. Now take your punishment gratefully and do not let it happen again."

"Narcissa- leave."

"Father, please, I'm so sorry-"

"Crucio!"

More screaming.

Athene pushed him out of her mind and fell backwards into a chair breathlessly. Remus stared at her, unsure what to say. The witch could see him feeling sorry for her and she hated it.

"Lupin, I-"

"I'm so sorry," he said.

"What?"

"That was my fault."

"Huh?"

"You got tortured because of me," he looked upset. "Lucius used the cruciatus on you because of me." He too had sat down now and was running his hand through his hair whilst biting the inside of his cheek. The scene had disturbed him the first time he had seen it, but to watch it again, knowing that it was his fault almost broke his heart. How the fuck was this woman still alive?

"Oh Merlin- Remus- Lucius would use that curse on me for breathing, honestly, it's not a big deal."

"It could have been one less time if it wasn't for me," he said miserably.