FIFTEEN

Remus returned on Christmas Eve. His face was bloodied and there were cuts all up his arm, he had stayed in his room most of the day. No one needed to see him like this. Tonks had brought him drinks a few times and he could sense that she wanted to stay, he didn't let her. Athene too, was staying in her room, Christmas had never been particularly special at Malfoy Manor, but at least she had Draco. 

Fred had been sent to fetch Remus, Molly was insisting that he could not spend the hours before Christmas Day alone. He knocked on his old professor's door.

"Merlin," he said, staring at Lupin's face.

"I've looked much worse."

"I believe you. Mum wants you to come down, it's Christmas mate."

Remus smiled, Fred reminded him of James in an odd way. "Alright, I'm coming."

"I'm gonna see if Athene wants to."

Before Remus could protest Fred was knocking on her door. Athene looked tired, her eyes were puffy and both men knew that she had been crying. Her mouth fell open when she saw Remus' cuts.

"Come down, Athene."

"I'm fine here."

"Come on, no one should be alone for Christmas," he said, sticking his hand out. She shook her head and gently shut the door. The two men stood there and heard small sniffs coming from inside.

"You tried," Remus said.

Fred nodded.

"Remus," Molly smiled, rushing up to the man to hug him, she glanced at the clock and saw that it was midnight, "Merry Christmas!" The room erupted into laughter as Hermione and Ron awkwardly hugged and Molly bustled around the room kissing everyone. Sirius approached Remus and pulled him into a hug,

"Merry Christmas, Moony."

"Merry Christmas, Padfoot."

"And Merry Christmas, Prongs." Sirius whispered back. Remus nodded and bit his tongue. Christmas was the worst for reminding him of his dead loved ones. Tonks approached him and went onto her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck, Remus could tell that she was drunk. "Merry Christmas, Remus, I love you." She said with a small giggle. Remus sighed and unwrapped her arms before walking into the living room. He sat reading for a while, enjoying the sound of laughter and general happiness from the kitchen. Molly joined him after a while and the two sat in silence for a little.

"Are you going to see Arthur today?" He asked.

"Yes," she smiled. "I'll take the kids too, they say he's making an excellent recovery."

"Good, I'm glad."

"Thank Merlin for Harry."

"Indeed."

"I talked to Athene," Molly started. Remus looked up in interest. "About Narcissa."

"How did she take it?" He asked.

"Well, she was just interested in her."

"What did you tell her?"

"How alike they are."

Remus nodded. "When I started at Hogwarts I recognised Athene immediately, she is every bit Narcissa."

Molly nodded, "I hope she warms to us."

"She isn't Narcissa though, Molly. Just like how Harry isn't James."

Mrs Weasley sighed, "I know, I just miss my friend."

"So do I," Remus said, feeling tears threaten his eyes. 

Molly took hold of his hand. "Was the cycle bad?"