THREE

Athene was humiliated. Her house had trod carefully around her before, out of fear, but now they acted as if she were broken. Flint and Celine were nicer than usual, and didn't dare to speak about dark wizarding again to her, whilst Ashley and Adrian were just purely annoying. Ashley hadn't pushed her, but Adrian on the other hand would not give up pressing her about it. He seemed to think that their casual hook ups meant something. That suddenly he was allowed to care about her and allowed to pry on her personal thoughts. Athene, although annoyed by the attention she was receiving from her housemates, was mostly thankful that Draco had not yet found out about the shape which her boggart had taken. She did not need him to realise the extent of evil which existed in their family.

Honestly, her seventh year was going worse than she could have dreamed. They were learning patronuses in the dark arts and the spell used to cast them and so far, she had achieved nothing. Ashley had conjured one in their first lesson and, in the nicest way possible, Ash was useless. It was a rainy Wednesday afternoon and, to make matters worse, Snape was sitting in on their lesson and observing Lupin, apparently the professor was to be away for a few lessons and the head of Slytherin house would be covering for him. 

Athene, Ashley, and Adrian were sat at the front of the class. Since the boggart incident Athene had noticed Flint and Celine begin to distance themselves from her. She didn't blame them. 

"How are you today Athene?" Adrian asked in a sickly sweet voice. She knew that he meant well and that he truly did care for her but she couldn't help but roll her eyes into the back of her head whenever he spoke to her.

"I'm fine Pucey."

"I know you say you are Athene, but I can see that you aren't, and I don't blame you because I don't think that I-"

Athene slammed her book onto their table which caught the attention of both professors.

"I am fine, Adrian. I don't know how many times I need to tell you that I am fine. I was fine last week. I was fine yesterday. And, guess what? Today I am..."

"Fine." He grumbled in response.

Professor Snape sneered. Athene looked up. Merlin, she hated that greasy haired prat. He gave Adrian a witheringly patronizing look and said,

"Mr Pucey, as touching your concern for Miss Malfoy is, I'm sure it is quite unnecessary."

Athene opened her mouth to contradict but Adrian spoke before she could. "But professor, her father he-"

"Mr Malfoy is a fine man Mr Pucey. I'm sure whatever he does is justified. I'd watch your mouth."

Athene opened her mouth in shock. Justified? Merlin she hated this man. She knew that Snape and Lucius were close and there was no doubt in her mind that he knew all about his methods. Adrian too looked shocked, Ashley equally so and Professor Lupin looked blatantly annoyed.

"Professor Snape, I'd keep your narrative about my students to yourself." He said in a false friendly tone.

Snape huffed and followed Lupin to the back of the classroom where he was collecting textbooks. He really hated Remus Lupin, he always had. Him, James and Sirius. The three of them were the worst people imaginable. He hated James most, but Lupin had always been a close second. He recalled that Lupin and Lily had a close friendship. She chose him to confide in in the end. A werewolf. Over him, Severus Snape. And now here Dumbledore was, choosing Lupin over himself once again.

"Careful Snivellus," Remus whispered craftily. "You don't want to be heard defending death eaters again." 

Snape recoiled at the nickname and walked back to the front of the class where he promptly parted the desks with a flick of his wand.