TWENTY NINE

Remus Lupin was on his knees in the death chamber of the Department of Mysteries. Only him and Athene Malfoy remained there. 

"Remus," she said to him, with tears running down her face, "please, look at me."

The man hadn't spoke since the death of his friend, and now Harry, and the rest of the order and Dumbledore's army had gone. Athene was knelt in front of him, with her hands on either side of his face, willing him to speak, or even just to look at her. 

"Harry," he mumbled.

"Yeah, Remus, Harry needs you, come on."

The man nodded and everything seemed to click for him, he stood up instantly, pulling Athene up with him and the two ran out of the chamber together, clutching each other's hands. In the distance, Harry could be heard shouting "Crucio!" followed by the cackles of Bellatrix. The two ran past where Tonks and the others stood, they did not follow.

By the time they had reached the lobby of the ministry, there were loud crashes and bangs, Remus pulled her into one of the fireplaces. Athene let out a stifled sob as she clutched her arm and the two watched as Voldemort begun to form next to Bellatrix.

"I killed Sirius Black," she said tauntingly, staring at Harry.

When Remus heard those words come out of her mouth, he lurched forwards, wand drawn, as if to duel her. Athene grabbed onto the front of his jumper and pulled him close to her.

"Please," she said. "Don't leave me."

The two clutched onto each other as Voldemort disarmed Harry, Athene holding her arm desperately.

Dumbledore appeared in the fireplace next to theirs, he walked past and winked.

"It'll be okay now," Athene breathed into Remus' chest, "Dumbledore's here, Harry will be fine."

She looked up at Remus for a response, the light had gone from his eyes and he looked empty, he looked down at Athene and let out a silent sob. The witch sighed and went onto her tip toes to wrap her arms around his neck, he melted into her and sobbed. 

"He's gone."

"I know," she whispered, "I'm so sorry."

"Everyone has gone. I have no one left." He cried.

"You have the order," she murmured into him.

"They don't care, not really."

"You know that's not true. I care," she said.

Bellatrix ran past them to get to a fireplace and when she saw Remus she smirked again, Athene put her hand on his neck and forced him to look at her. She rested her forehead against his and shook her head,

"you aren't in the right mind to duel anyone tonight, Remus."

Glass and stone was flying all around them as Dumbledore and Voldemort duelled. 

"We need to get out of here," Remus said, snapping out of his trance.

"Run for it?" She asked.

"We could just-"

"We can't leave the others."

Remus stared at her when she said that, it was a mixture of shock and admiration. She truly was turning out to be an incredibly kind witch.

"Okay, say when." He said.

She glanced around the corner at where Voldemort and Dumbledore were, the door to where the order were was directly behind him.