THIRTY FOUR

Draco hadn't touched the letter. He refused to let himself. He knew it would be trivial and pathetic. Just like she was. Today was her birthday. He hoped that she was spending it alone and was miserable. No he didn't. He hoped that she was alone as he was. First his sister was gone. Now his father. Why did all of the pain and hurt fall to him? Why was he expected to clean up his father's mess?

He hadn't seen her since she was twenty and he had just turned fifteen. Now she was twenty two. It had been over a year. He couldn't say that he missed her because as they both grew, they lost their relationship. He liked to blame it on age, he was sure that it had more to do with Ashley Smith. 

He thought that Athene was a coward. Lucius had told him that she was. She had run away, leaving Draco and Narcissa alone. She had turned her back on the greatest wizard of all time. The Dark Lord. That was a selfish thing to do. It was cowardly. Or was it brave? Draco supposed that it depended on who you asked. 

The Dark Lord had given Draco a task, he was to kill Dumbledore. So far, his attempts had been futile. He would do it, though. He had to do it. He did not feel any remorse for the man, Lucius had always said Dumbledore was a fool. The Dark Lord hated him too, so why shouldn't Draco?

The grounds of Hogwarts were covered in snow. Draco was sat on a wall by the lake. He felt peaceful. The calm before the storm. He had the gold envelope in his hands. He kept this one, and the last one, in his pocket. With Lucius gone there was no worry that anyone would find them. His mother was scared of him. Or scared for him. She hadn't come near him since he got his dark mark, only to say goodbye to him on the platform. Athene's letters were safe.

He didn't know why he ached to open this one. The last one had angered him and he was sure that this one would too. He braced his fingers to rip it up, but couldn't. He wished the stupid bitch would die. No he didn't. 

It was getting dark and Draco knew that he would spend the whole night by the lake if he did not read Athene's words. He sighed. For fuck's sake.

Dear Draco,

Reading through the letter made him cry. He didn't think it was weak to cry. He had checked a few times that Crabbe and Goyle weren't watching him, though. Athene had told him she loved him. He had never heard her say that before. He had never heard anyone say that before. Her words comforted him.

She said she could save him, could protect him from the Dark Lord. He couldn't leave. He'd find him. And then he'd die, and Athene would die. And his mother would die. He wished his mother could read those words, wished that Athene gave Narcissa the chance to get out too. He didn't want to reply but thought that maybe he ought to. It was her birthday after all.

Dear Athene,

Happy 22nd Birthday. I hope you spent it in happiness. It is odd, thinking that you were only twenty the last time I saw you. I am okay, I promise. My future is my destiny, and whatever shall happen will be what is meant to happen. This was always going to be my path, just as it was always going to be yours.

I appreciate you trying to help me, and worrying about me, but I do not need or want your assistance. It has been difficult with father in Azkaban. But mother and I, we persevere. I wish you could write to her, Athene. I think she worries about you. She would never say. But I am sure of it. Her and I have become less close recently, much like you and I did. I worry for her health. I wish that you could see her before the war begins but I know it is not possible.

As for me trying to find you? I honestly have no idea where you could be but I think that it's better that way. I do not trust myself to not crack under pressure and give you up. I heard from Bellatrix that you were seen with Nymphadora, our cousin. I am glad that you aren't alone. I know that she is an auror so it is good to know you are protected (not that you need it). I want to apologise for my reply to your letter last year. You seemed to doubt me and I was sure that I was capable of anything and stronger than anyone. I know more now. I am less insecure and appreciate that you come to me as a friend.

We probably won't get many more chances to write each other, Athene, but I am grateful for the small moments that we have. Dark times are coming, sister, I recommend that you ready yourself. I hope that I don't see you on the battlefield but if we do meet, know that I will not hold back. Our paths are infinitely different and I hope that they do not cross, for you will meet a painful and desperate end.

Love to you sister, and hail to the Dark Lord.

DM.

Draco read the letter over several times, ensuring that he had not betrayed the Dark Lord in any way further than writing to his sister. He didn't trust the statue that he left the letter with last time and decided that it would be better to take it to Dumbledore himself.

When he entered the headmasters office, Severus Snape could be heard. Draco coughed, to make his presence known.

"Ah, Mr Malfoy!" Dumbledore said, giving the boy a knowing look. "What can I help you with?"

Draco looked to Snape.

"Severus, I do believe our conversation is over?"

Snape huffed and sneered at Draco.

As soon as Snape was out of the office Draco took his letter out of his pocket.

"This is for..."

"Ah- the lovely Miss Malfoy! I will ensure that this gets to her before her birthday is over."

"Is she-" Draco started. "How is she?"

Dumbledore smiled at the sixteen year old boy. 

"She has grown into the most wondrous witch. Her kindness and power are matched."

"Must be pretty bloody kind then," Draco mumbled, recalling just how powerful Athene had been under Lucius' tutelage. 

"Indeed she is. I believe her to be the happiest she has ever been. She wants the same for you, Mr Malfoy."

"I'm happy as I am." Draco snapped.

"I am sure that you are, Mr Malfoy. Just remember, help will always be given at Hogwarts, for those who need it."

"I don't need any bloody help past delivering the letter!" He exclaimed. 

Dumbledore smiled and nodded, "goodnight then, Mr Malfoy."

Somewhere in south Devon, Athene Malfoy sat, holding hands with Fleur, crying her eyes out over a ripped up letter which lay on the floor. The witch sobbed, realising that her brother truly was too far gone.

A/N This is so short sorry x