FIFTY TWO

Remus was kissing the woman in front of him desperately, her hands were in his hair and on his torso. Never had he experienced such a strong need for someone, she was addictive. He felt as if his heart would beat out of his chest when she pulled her jumper off. She was on top of him, desperate for further contact and they were tangled together in her bed sheets, with his hands were tracing every part of her.

"You're beautiful," he murmured to her as she sat on top of him. She kissed him softly in response.

 He felt complete, finally.

However, no matter how hard he kissed her, or how close he pulled her to him, Remus couldn't push the voice in the back of his head telling him to stop away. 

So he did.

He pulled away from her and leant back onto the pillow and ran a hand through his hair, she sat up and pulled her jumper back over her head, sensing what was coming.

"We should st-"

"We shouldn't be doi-"

They said at the same time.

Athene furrowed her brow at him, "sorry, you first."

Remus exhaled, "we shouldn't be doing this," he said sofly.

Athene's mouth opened and then closed again. Of course, she thought the same, and was about to say the same, but she had expected him to try and convince her otherwise.

"Oh-right- yeah. Of course."

"It's just that... I'm a werewolf." 

Athene nodded, biting the inside of her cheek, "and I'm a death eater."

"No you're not," he interrupted.

She smiled sadly, "not a good match."

"Oh- no. You're right."

He cleared his throat and sat up to face her, there were tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," he said awkwardly.

"Don't be," she murmured, "I agree. We're on the brink of war."

"Exactly, we shouldn't start something-"

"When we both may die."

The man nodded and slid off her bed and walked to the door.

"Remus!" She shouted after him, suddenly feeling angry. He turned around to face her. "Do you really not want this?"

"It's not right," he said sadly.

"Why?"

"You know why."

"Coward," she muttered.

"Pardon?"

"I just thought that the man I knew fought for what he wanted," she snapped at him.

He let out an exasperated sigh, "I do want this. But we can't. It isn't right or fair. I'm a werewolf."

Athene rolled her eyes, "and what about it?"

"There's so many complications-" he stuttered. "You're young, you'll want children some day. I can't- I couldn't give you the life you want."

Athene raised her eyebrows, "don't you dare tell me what life I want Remus Lupin."

"So you'd be happy with just us. You don't want children. Just me. Growing old alone."

"So melodramatic,"she said sharply and he begun to shake his head at her.