SIXTY ONE

"W-What do you mean?" 

Remus asked the woman in his arms cautiously, she was shaking and had tears falling freely down her face. He looked to Charlie, who looked equally as determined as Athene did, the man shook his head, unsure how to tell the two that what they thought was impossible. 

"Ashley died, Athene. I'm so sorry, it's impossible."

"I know it's not possible, Remus but-" She started.

"Athene, you're just buying into their trap," he said gently. "They know that this will affect you, it's such an easy way to get to you..."

"No, Remus, I-"

"Athene, please. Don't let yourself be put in danger, you wouldn't trust the words if they came from Lucius, so why Narcissa?"

The woman huffed and looked desperately at Charlie who was watching the encounter silently.

"We have proof," the man said. Remus stared at him in shock. 

"What? How? Already?"

Charlie looked at Athene and nodded. The witch flicked her wand and a few seconds later a piece of parchment was flying through the air towards them. Athene stuck out a hand and caught it, she handed it to Remus.

"This is-" 

"This is the letter I got from the mystery person, yes."

"What's that got to do with Ashley?"

"It's her writing..."

"How have you only realised this now? Surely you would have before?"

"No- I- Charlie, give me that."

Charlie handed his letter to Athene and she gave it to Remus.

"I mean, they do match, but-"

"That was a letter that Ash sent me a few days before she died. She changed her writing style from when she knew Athene, for obvious reasons. I knew as soon as I saw the parchment, I recognised it immediately." Charlie said.

"Why wouldn't you tell Athene that straight away?" Remus asked sharply.

Charlie went to speak but Athene cut him off.

"He tried to, Remus! I would have never believed him anyway!"

"Athene, this could all be a trap. It most likely is, they could easily copy Ashley's writing..."

"They wouldn't know that her writing even changed! That was the whole point of making it different!"

"I know," he said to her gently, taking one of her hands. "But this could all so easily be a trap. A way to kill you."

Athene shook her head adamantly.

"I don't think it is, Remus..." Charlie said slowly.

"Neither of you want to think that!" Remus exclaimed. "You both loved her! So it's only natural for you to cling to the slightest possibility! I'm trying to be rational here."

"So what? We just give up?" Athene said to him harshly. 

"I- "

"If I died, and there was a glimmer of hope that by some miracle, I could be alive, would you just give up?"

"That's different."

"How?"

"I-I- you shouldn't just trust Narcissa, Athene." He said, ignoring her question.

"She saved their life, Remus! They could be dead without her! Harry would be dead if it weren't for my mother! She betrayed everyone and risked her own life to get this message to me. Why would she do that if it was a lie?"