THIRTY

12 Grimmauld Place was uncommonly quiet. In the month following the death of Sirius Black, only Remus Lupin and Athene Malfoy had come to inhabit it. The two, one linked to Sirius by friendship, and one by blood, had spoken less than thirty words to each other in the past month, both avoiding their pain.

Remus Lupin spoke to Tonks and Molly when they visited, but both women noticed a change in the man. He seemed older, less hopeful, and as if a part of him was missing. On one particular mild July morning, Molly was willing Remus to come to the burrow for Harry's birthday. 

"He needs you there, Remus."

"He has you, Molly, and Arthur, and his friends."

"You are all of Sirius that he has left, Remus." Tonks said gently.

"Don't say his name."

Footsteps could be heard from above them.

"What's she doing?" Molly asked.

"Pacing, as always," the man said, running a hand through his hair. "She won't bloody stop."

"Lay off her," Tonks said, "she's having a tough time."

"Aren't we all?"

"Her especially. That night drained her, physically and emotionally."

Nymphadora Tonks was the only person with whom Athene Malfoy had interacted with in the past month. Athene was stubborn, but the pink haired with was persistent. She would sit in her room with her every day, not caring if they spoke or did anything, just constantly jabbering on about nonsense, apparently waiting for Athene to tell her to shut up. When she finally did, Tonks had felt triumphant. She too was hurt by Sirius' death, he had been her cousin as well, but she was strong. Athene needed her. Remus needed her. So she pushed the pain to the back of her head and focused on those who needed her.

"How is she?" Molly asked the witch. 

"Alright, I think. She won't speak about that night, though. It's properly messed her about."

"Her father, you think?" Molly inquired.

"I don't know, the whole thing-"

"I'd imagine You-Know-Who using the cruciatus curse on her has something to do with it," Remus snorted. 

"Shut up, Remus." Tonks snapped. "She was there for you that night, she stayed with you. And now all you do is ignore her."

"We all grieve in our own ways, Nymphadora."

The witch's hair turned red, but she didn't bother to speak the words. 

"You should talk to her, Remus." Molly said. "You both need someone to talk to."

"Someone who's aunt didn't kill my best friend."

Tonks waved her hand in front of Remus' face with a dumbstruck impression on her own, "she's my aunt too, you git. You going to start ignoring me too?"

"Come on, Tonks, you know-"

Their conversation was interrupted by the crack of an apparition. Albus Dumbledore had appeared in the kitchen, and now stood at the foot of the table.

"Ah- Molly- good. It appears that I have come just at the right time, now, where is Miss Malfoy?"

Molly stood up to go up to Athene's room, but Tonks simply opened her mouth wide and screamed her name. The faint patter of footsteps down the stairs could be heard seconds later. 

Athene entered the room and glanced at Remus, who was already looking at her, as soon as their eyes met they both instantly looked away. They were each a reminder of the fateful night of Sirius' death for the other.