FOURTY THREE

Remus, Tonks, and Athene did not speak a word to each other as they sprinted through the grounds of Hogwarts. It was a cold evening, to say it was June, and the sky seemed heavy. The grounds were eerily quiet, too. There was nothing to suggest that there had been any disturbance of normality at the school.

Professor Mcgonagall met them by the great hall.

"Oh, Remus, thank you so much for coming. You too Nymphadora." She looked towards Athene with a pinched smile but didn't say anything. 

"Where to, professor?" Tonks asked breathlessly.

"They were heading towards the astronomy tower, I'll be right behind you."

The three set off again at an extraordinary pace. Athene felt as if she could collapse and she had not even dueled anyone yet. Although usually Tonks and Remus were two of her closest... friends, tonight there was an edge between them. As if they could all individually sense that something was wrong.

The astronomy tower was ahead and Athene could see a flash of silver blonde hair making it's way up. She knew who it was. She pushed harder and ran ahead of Remus and Tonks. Curses were beginning to be thrown their way. She blocked them all. She prayed that her mother, or indeed Bellatrix, wasn't there. 

As they got closer she spotted the frizzy hair of her aunt. The woman was relentless. Athene inhaled and prepared to duel her. Several death eaters were already ascending the tower. Leaving only Greyback, Bellatrix, and the Carrow twins at the bottom. What the fuck was up there that her brother, and the others, wanted so badly? 

The three order members came to a halt and begun to duel the four dark wizards. 

Bellatrix was cackling the entire time.

"How's our cousin, 'theney?" She said with a menacing grin.

Athene ignored her and continued to match her curses.

"Going over to the other side never did much good for him did it, sweetie? You'll end up the same."

Remus heard every word she was saying and kept glancing over to where the two witches faced each other.

"Two family members on my kill list? That's a record..."

Athene stayed stoic. She refused to let the bitch get to her.

Remus however, could not help but get distracted and angry at the woman's words. He tried to aim at her but missed.

 One of the Carrow's stuns hit him right in the chest.

"For fucks sake," Tonks muttered, as Bellatrix laughed and begun to make her way up the tower. Athene tried to cope with both Carrow's as Tonks continued with Greyback.

"Where the fuck is Mcgonagall?" Tonks shouted to Athene.

"Hell if I know," she shouted back, clutching her wand with both hands.

Greyback stunned her successfully and, whilst Tonks was distracted, grabbed the Carrow twins and followed after Bellatrix. 

"What the fuck was that about?" Tonks snapped at Remus and Athene. 

"I'm bloody shattered, Tonks."

"So am I! But they got away!"

"There's nothing we can change..." Remus said to her softly.

"Fucking hell." She said.

Mcgonagall arrived with a short plump man with grey hair and a confused expression. She glanced up to the tower and then looked to Tonks who nodded her head glumly. Athene watched the desperation on the old woman's face and grabbed her cousin's hand. They ran, but as they entered the archway to the stairs, got thrown back. Athene stayed on the floor as Tonks got up and ran at it again, only to get thrown back.