Chapter 31

-= Venus' POV =-

I stayed at Hogwarts for the rest of the day. I collapsed in Molly's arms and she comforted me as best she could, but it was no use, nobody will be able to comfort me out of this one.
I've been wandering through the entire castle, looking at everything that's destroyed, and I found myself on top of the Astronomy Tower.
Not even 24 hours ago Draco saved my life here, I left the Death Eaters shocked and I felt amazing when I let myself fall off the railing, knowing that Draco was there to catch me, and now I'm up here crying because he left.
Why did he leave me? I sit on the railing where I sometimes sit when I'm deep in my thoughts, and this is one of those times. I still can't fully wrap my head around it, but it's true, it's the reality and I'm just refusing to believe it, but is he here next to me? No, which makes it all feel too real. I take my necklace in between my fingers and start fumbling with it.
Everything we talked about, the running away together, the trusting each other with our secrets, the love, and even the arguments, did they all mean nothing to him? Was I just a toy he accidentally fell in love with, and when things got too real, he saw the perfect opportunity to flea and he did? Did I mean nothing to him? Absolutely nothing?
I knew what I got myself into when I caught myself falling for Draco Malfoy, and never would I have thought that he would fall in love with me too, but everything we've been through, it just felt too real for him to be faking it.
Every laugh, every cry . . . I was there for him and he was there for me, but was it my fault that he left? Just because I broke up with him during the whole polyjuice situation? Did I fuck everything up? He's all that's on my mind, and all I want to do is bawl my eyes out again, but it won't bring him back, in fact, nothing I do can bring him back. I don't know where he is, I don't know if he stayed close or actually left the country, I don't know anything, and I'm too scared to send him a letter, or even Narcissa. Why didn't she stop him? She knows how much he changed and she knows how much I love him, why didn't she change his mind or made him stay?
I thought I knew what heartbreak felt like after I lost Flora and my mother in such a short time, but this is a complete different type of heartbreak. This is as if my heart got ripped out of my chest and he took it, and he'll never return it.
Maybe this feels different because I know he had a choice. He had a choice and he chose to leave me, he chose to never turn back around and go on with his life, when Flora and my mother didn't have that choice, and even if they did I know they would've stayed.

After a long time up at the Tower, I walk back into the Great Hall. I'm relieved that the Weasley's are still here and a sigh leaves my mouth. I walk up to Molly with tears in my eyes. ''I know it's a lot to ask, but I have nowhere to go . . . could I maybe stay at the Burrow for a little while?'' I almost hold my breath waiting for her reply. I would completely understand if she said no, but I seriously have nowhere to go. I could go back to my house, but I can't live all by myself and that place would only bring up memories I want to either forget or cry about.
She cups my cheeks with her hands and meets my eyes. ''Of course dear, you'll stay with us.'' She responds and I give her a big hug, holding her tightly.

We stay in the Great Hall, helping everyone where we can until the sun starts to set.
The Weasley's all agreed to take Arthur's body back to the Burrow and give him a proper goodbye and funeral.

Hermione, Ginny, and I walk up to our dorm and stand there for a second, not knowing what to say. ''We should pack.'' I manage to get out, but my voice still breaks. Slowly we all take our suitcase from under our beds, and just now I realize that we're all still wearing our dresses.
I desperately need to get out of these clothes, so I grab the first things I can find, which are my regular sweatpants and an old t-shirt.
I take off my dress and put on those clothes. I keep the dress in my hands for a while and I stare at them. Should I pack this or should I throw it away? I love it a lot, and it really is gorgeous, but Narcissa got it for me, and if I look at it now all I can think about is Draco.
''You should pack it, don't let him ruin that dress for you.'' Hermione says softly as if she's reading my mind. I meet her eyes and a tear escapes my eye but I quickly wipe it away.
I give her a weak smile and decide to listen to her.