ɴᴇᴡʙɪᴇꜱ

8 years ago

8 years ago...

"Nana." I say softly, us walking beside each other walking through the garden.

"Yes, dear." Nana answered examining each and every single flower.

"Can I pick out a flower?" I ask, looking up at her nervously.

"Of course!" She encouraged.

Slowly I look at the flowers in the garden but none of the caught my attention until I lay my eyes on a beautiful white rose bush. Approaching the bush, kneeling down in front of it, eyeing the roses that bring a small smile to my face. Reaching towards the rose but Nanas cautious voice stops me.

"Hold on Darling." I look up at her confusingly on why I can't touch the rose. She leaves for a moment coming back with scissors, she kneels down beside me.

"Now Caden, do you see these thorns?" She asks, pointing towards the spiky things on the stem. I nod, Nana slowly nods her head,carefully handing me the scissors. "These white rose is so beautiful, but if you touch them you will get hurt."

"I don't want to get hurt Nana." I shake my head rapidly. "Maybe we should find a flower that doesn't have thorns." I look at her sadly.

"Caden sweetie, that's why it's your job to cut the thorns." She smiles. "This flower is so pure, but it's rough on the outside but so beautiful."

"Than why not find another one that isn't rough?"

"This one caught your eyes, your not going to find anything more special than this one." She explained. "Now cut the thorns Caden."

I quickly cut the spiky thorns-

"Slowly dear. It all takes time to fight through the thorns." She comments making me slow down the process.

"Look it Nana!" I exclaim as I finish cutting through the pointy thorns. "I did it!" I fought through the roughness.

"Yes dear." Nana smiles at the stunning rose.

Present

I'm currently standing outside the giant grey doors of my house. This has been a constant routine, closing my eyes for a moment bracing myself before I enter the door of doom it feels like I've only been out for a second but in reality it's has been ten minutes fearing on what they might do when I enter, slowly and quietly I turn the knob. Not bothering to look around making a beeline towards the staircase that lead up to my room that's on the second floor of this mansion. Loud footsteps were approaching from behind me, my heart jumping out of my chest at the sound.

I walk in heading straight towards my room on the second floor. I hear loud footsteps behind me.

"Caden." What sounds like my father voice slurred. "I've had a long day at work and I need to blow out some steam." Grabbing on to the handrail tightly like it's going to save me.