Chapter 10

“That was a really nice way to spend the day, shorty,” Niall commented as he settled into the couch and switched on the television.

Kol had just gotten out of the shower and put on some sweatpants and tied her hair. She snuggled into his side, put up her feet and munched on some popcorn that was inside a bowl on his lap.

This was one of the nights that Kol really enjoyed. No, she couldn’t do this in a hotel room. A hotel room was just a generic place that had no items that personalized the place. It was a rare occasion when Kol and Niall could just chill inside their own home.

“Sweat pants, hair tied, chilling with no makeup on. That’s when you’re the prettiest, I hope that you don’t take it wrong,” Niall sang that part of the song and grinned. “It seems wildly appropriate.”

They stopped at a celebrity gossip channel on the television. It was sort of one of their guilty pleasures, although most of the time it was just a good laugh and didn’t believe it. A lot of the things on there were assumptions and mere rumors. Plenty of times, they would be caught off-guard seeing one of their faces, with apparently some source close to them confirming some fact that they didn’t even know about or didn’t even happen.

Right now was one of those moments, but it didn’t seem to be one that was untrue.

“…Niall Horan allegedly cheating on girlfriend Kol Vicencio a year ago, with photos surfacing only now,” said the host and continued on with the story.

Kol sat up, her ears ringing from this little tidbit as the actual photos showed onto the screen. The photos were blurry and she could only see the side profiles, and it seemed someone had taken it while hiding behind something or somewhere. The male blond was unmistakably Niall though.

“Tell me those were from before we dated, or after we had broken up,” Kol said calmly, trying not to shout at him or jump to conclusions. She did however, straighten up and scoot away from him.

He was silent as he tried to think of a proper explanation and he reached out his hands toward her, but she was already shaking his head.

“You’re not answering me, Niall. Is there some truth to that?” She stood up because she didn’t want any part of him to touch her.

“It was a mistake. It only happened that one time when I was drunk and we had just argued. We were distant then, because it seemed to almost be a repeat of our breakup, with the same reasons of time and shit we were fighting about,” he said, holding his hands out. He kept a steady voice and his eyes focused mainly on her. “I hardly remembered any of it the next day and I thought that it was too much trouble to tell you when that girl didn’t mean shit to me.”

“You still slept with her?” Kol said, her voice shaking and she angrily brushed away any tears that might have sprouted right now. Niall didn’t have the privilege of seeing just how much she cared right now, how she cared enough to cry.

He looked down at the floor and shamefully nodded.

“I guess they do get some things right,” Kol murmured, running over to the room and grabbing a jacket and removing her sweatpants. They were Nialls, and right now, she wanted nothing to do with him. She quickly slid into a pair of trousers and boots while Niall reasoned with her as he followed her into the room.

“Go away,” she said as he stood in front of her, telling her more about how it had been a mistake and the reasons why he didn’t tell her.

“It was more than a year ago, shorty. Please, it didn’t mean anything to me.”

“Stop calling me shorty. I’ll get back to you,” she said coolly, brushing past him and stuffing random clothes into her rucksack. “I can’t look at you right now.”

“That was so long ago, Kol. I’m so sorry. It was a moment of weakness and I was fucking depressed about fighting with you.”

“So your solution was to screw around with another girl?” Kol said, pulling the straps of the rucksack around her shoulders. “I’m really sorry that that was one thing I could never give you. Now I know why you’ve been so perfect for all this time we’ve been together.”

He grumbled in frustration as he continued to follow her out. He knew better than to pull her. She would just get angrier. “I wasn’t trying to make up for cheating on you all this time, Kol! I did the things I did because I love you and you’re the only one I would ever still sacrifice things for!”

“The thing is, it’s sort of hard not to picture you just easily cheating on me while you were on tour,” she said sadly, turning to him.

“I’m sorry,” he said helplessly, wondering how a perfect day could suddenly turn on him like this. He remembered the guilt that went with what he did, but he didn’t even remember the girl’s name or face. It wasn’t as if he enjoyed it when he had Kol on his mind and how upset he was enough that he got drunk enough that he couldn’t control his actions.

Now was the moment that she broke down into tears, although he could tell that she was trying to stop it. “I’m not angry at you. I’m… I’m not sure how I feel. I just feel betrayed and hurt. I can’t look at you, because I’m angry that I’m not mad at you, because I love you too much to even think about the possibility of losing you.”

There was a pang of guilt running through Niall once again, and he looked at Kol in a way where he loved her even more than he thought he could. He didn’t deserve her at all. He knew it. She was too good for him.

“Babe…”

“Stop. I guess I know what it feels like to see someone you love with another person. This must have felt really rotten before when I was with Harry,” she said, and Niall didn’t like that she had to bring up something that wasn’t even wrong to begin with. He didn’t want to bring that in, because he knew that it was something that she had always felt guilty about. Besides, it wasn’t as if she cheated on him with Harry. It was fucking painful to watch, but he couldn’t blame her for it.

“Don’t bring that in please,” Niall said, choosing this moment to grab her hand. Predictably, she shook him off. “I don’t want you to feel even worse than you do now. I’m sorry. Please don’t leave me.”

She looked at him for what felt like a really long time. She seemed to be taking in every aspect of him, and Niall felt like she was seeing him for how worthless he really was. Kol though, was seeing everything that she loved about him and was trying to find something about him that she couldn’t love. There wasn’t anything.

She got even angrier.

She shook her head as she opened the door out of the flat and started hurrying down the stairs. Niall followed her with his feet still bare, leaving the door adjacent, but not really caring if anyone even chose to rob the place. What was imperative was getting Kol back in and having her sleep in his arms tonight.

“Just leave me alone, Niall,” she said, turning away as she looked out for a cab.

“I can’t, because I don’t know were you’re going and if you’re going to take my calls once I start calling you, and you know that I won’t ever stop calling, not even if you keep me on silent or straight to voicemail. I can’t, because I have to fix things with you now, before everything gets worse than it already is.”

She shook her head, not even bothering to answer him anymore, and it aggravated him even more.

“I want to marry you someday, Kol. I don’t want anyone else.”

“That’s my problem, Niall.” She looked back at him just as a cab stopped in front of her. “I feel exactly the same, when I know I should be mad. There must be something wrong with that.”

She got in and told the cab driver the directions, but had slammed the door before Niall could hear it.

The cab started forward and Niall couldn’t do anything but stare after her, feeling a deep sense of hopelessness and self-hatred.

~

I'm a bit sorry that this was the chapter that had to come up during the holidays, but it does pack a drama. See you all in the New Year! Don't forget to vote and comment xx