Chapter 49

‘Aiden West brings Kol Vicencio to Golden Globes

The actor has famously developed a fast friendship with model Kol Vicencio ever since meeting for their filming of their box-office movie hit last year. Vicencio looked stunning in a gold and white McQueen gown and was easily a best-dressed favorite that night, while West is his usual dashing self in Ralph Lauren.

“The two of them were laughing the whole night,” said a source that was at the event. “Even when Aiden didn’t win Best Supporting Actor, he still had a big smile on his face because she kept keeping his mind off it and making jokes. The two of them were even more fun at the after party.”

Wonder what Niall Horan thinks of this thriving relationship this time? It’s no secret that one of Kol’s closest friends is Harry Styles, who she also dated for a time. Could there be something brewing between the Koden friendship?’

*

“Ring us up again when you’re in London, yeah Aiden?” Niall said, giving Aiden that bromance sort of hug at the doorstep. Niall was back for a five-day break after two months away. When he saw the Golden Globe articles from a month ago, he literally laughed out loud and showed it the rest of the boys. What the media didn’t seem to know was that Niall and Aiden had become good mates as well, because of Aiden’s friendship with Kol.

Aiden had spent the afternoon up until 11PM with them because he was in town for a movie premiere that happened yesterday. Niall and Kol went together, and that’s when they invited him over to their place. Aiden and Niall ended up playing PS3 games by the pool, and they all played some beer pong after dinner.

“I don’t think it was a good idea to get the match the boys versus the only girl,” Aiden said, finding humor in a slightly hit Kol, who was hanging onto Niall with a serene smile on her face. She wasn’t good at beer pong to begin with, and she ended up drinking more than her fill.

“Her pride won’t admit that she’s shit at beer pong,” Niall laughed, holding her up.

“Hey! I am not shit at beer pong!” she said indignantly, pushing Niall away and pouting. “I just let you win.”

“All right, you’re the best, Kol,” Aiden said, bending down so that his face was on the same level as her. “You’re secretly good at it and we were just lucky for all of seven rounds.”

“That sounds about right,” Kol said, looking a little bit happier about it.

“I’ll see you around Kol,” Aiden said, shaking his head as he grinned. “You take care of her, Niall. Thanks for having me over.”

“No problem. You should come round more often,” Niall said, waving as Aiden walked down the front garden and let himself out through the gates.

Niall brought Kol out back so that they could chill by the pool. It was a cold night, so he took out some blankets that were in a closet outside just for this purpose. Kol had her eyes closed and her arms around her legs on the chaise closest to the water.

He put the blanket over her and went to the kitchen to get her some water. When he got back, he put the pitcher and the glass on the glass table beside the chaise and got beside her underneath the blanket, putting his arm around her shoulders. She turned so that she was resting her head on his chest.

“That was fun,” she mumbled, yawning as she did. Niall always found it funny when she was drinking. She wasn’t much of a reckless drunk. She was more the kind that was helpless and was sort of like a baby. Since she was just a little hit right now, she wasn’t that drunk, but she was still adorable.

“Are we having another adventure tomorrow?” Niall said, looking down at her. She was near sleep, but she probably had about half an hour in her before she fell asleep.

“No, because you’re going out with some people. I don’t remember their names right now. I’ll probably be working…and then heading over to one of the boys’ places. I’m not sure who, but it most likely will be Zayn.”

“You did a great job on the invites, by the way,” Niall said, remembering something. “Mum just got them today, and she says that it smells nice and looks grand.”

“It cost a lot too, did you say that?” she laughed. “At least she likes it. I had to get it sent so that people could clear off the schedules for it already.”

“You kept delaying it, didn’t you?” Niall said. “Afraid that you’d get cold feet?”

“No. I was afraid of the media getting hold of it months in advance and camping out of the venues.”

“You just hope that people will have some decency to keep it secret,” Niall said. “Besides, don’t we have that deal thing with the official photos and stuff?”

“Yeah, but still. You know how they follow us around anyway?” Kol said. “Not fun at all.”

“At least they don’t go around this neighborhood. I remember how they just waited outside the building of our old flat.”

“And we always start talking in my language when they’re around, so that they don’t know what we’re planning to do,” Kol said, laughing. It was really warm under the blanket, but her face was cold, so she pressed her cheek to his chest. Niall tried learning about her culture and her language, and he was often asked to speak it in some interviews, when asked if he knew different languages. He still had a funny accent when saying the words, but he used them in the right context in sentences now. Kol would often get texts from him in the language, so that he could practice when she wasn’t around. Niall also taught her some Irish and slang, which she used effectively whenever they were in Ireland.

The two of them were so interested in different languages. Kol could already understand Spanish when written, although it was more difficult for her to understand when hearing it spoken, because of how fast fluent speakers spoke. Italian and French were things she was grappling with, since she was in fashion and encountered a lot of designers, models and photographers with that nationality, aside from Spanish.

“You like swearing at them a lot, and they don’t even know it,” Niall laughed, closing his eyes. He was getting really tired as well.

“Like you don’t. You swear more in my language than you do in English!” Kol accused. Her eyes were getting heavy and her words were slurred and lazy.

They tried keeping up a conversation, but they just ended up silent in a few minutes. Their breaths were slow and even. They had both fallen asleep under the stars.