Chapter 19

A few excerpts from Kol Vicencio’s memoir Uncovered:

            Fame is a funny thing. People want it and abhor it at the same time. I have to say that my feelings toward fame lean more on the latter, probably due to the fact that I hadn’t gone looking for it. Based on the past few years of my relatively short life, the basis of most of my success is a mixture of good luck and sheer determination. When you’re a five foot seven inch model that isn’t even the standard skinny, you need to develop thick skin and a strong sense of self-preservation. I have received more denials than bookings ever since the start of my career as a model. If I tally it carefully, my rejections definitely outweigh the affirmations. This was especially true for the first year, when the agency could drop me once my contract expired. That probably fueled my will to keep going on. I had only one chance and I was going to make it count.

---

            I’ve always made it a point to keep my private life personal. The people that have surrounded me in the business have paid me this respect, and in turn, I have given them my trust. Most of the people that surround me right now are the ones that have been with me from the start. I never forget. At my all time lows, these were the people that got me back up and pushed me to strive better.

            Now, on the subject of my romantic relationships, I can only share a few details. It has been a topic heavily scrutinized by the media, to the point that some even failed because of it. I have only ever dated four men in my life, and two of which I have been in a relationship in. So, in case some of you can’t do the Math, I’ll do it for you. I only had two boyfriends in my life, both of which happened only after I started my career as a model. Even back home I had none. I wasn’t an expert on relationships and flirting. It was never a priority of mine. So, contrary to what the media portrays me as, I don’t go around with random men just because I can. I have never been the type to do that. While I enjoy letting my hair down and having a little fun once in a while, I am still one of those people that you can consider uptight.

            I have decided to open up the truth about one of the biggest scandals that have circulated about me in terms of my choice of people to have more personal relations with. These two that have been linked to me are namely Harry Styles and Niall Horan. The two have agreed on my exposing the truth about what had happened between the three of us, and they are fully aware of the details that I have decided to write down.

            First off, what made this ‘triangle’ a big deal was because the two of them were part of the same band, and so ultimately, were very good friends. It is general knowledge that I met their band during one of their music videos that I starred in, and this promptly led to me developing some ties with them that started out as friendship to me at first.

            To put it simply, the main problem I had with Horan was that we didn’t have the best timing. My career was only just beginning, and I had schoolwork to attend to while I was already modeling. The addition to my busy schedule included traveling to different locations and shoots. We were both too busy and long distance eventually led us to put off our decision to date exclusively. I dated two other individuals briefly before I became exclusive with Styles. He and I had a close friendship and I was comfortable with him, and even up until now, I consider him one of my closest friends. While Horan and Styles were on good terms, I also kept a civil relationship with Horan. Imagine this being intensified by the media. It didn’t make for a comfortable healing process for everyone involved.

            I find myself in the most awkward situations, but somehow, luck or fate – whatever it was – always managed to make a path easier for me. I love people in different ways. I get attached to any person easily. I admit that I did love Styles in my own way, and as a couple, we did have our moments that could be enviable. A few realizations later, I found myself traveling to Irish soil and reuniting with Horan, with Styles’ blessing in hand. Some people probably think that we’ve found ourselves in a situation that is difficult to mend. I would disagree. The three of us have remained friends, and there is no jealousy or malice involved between us. This goes to show the value of friendship, loyalty and camaraderie above petty misunderstandings and miscommunication.