Chapter 55

There he was.

There she was.

Niall’s heart felt like bursting when he sighted her first. Even from his place by the altar, he could still see the smile on her face. Radiance. She was perfect. Niall felt an overwhelming sense of blessedness the longer he looked at her. It was sort of amazing the amount of emotions that have passed through him right until the moment she was right in front of him. All doubts he had about her before just completely dissipated.

Her dad Alex kissed her on the cheek, with the veil still down. He then lifted her hand and passed her on to Niall.

Her ungloved hands never felt warmer or softer. 

He didn’t know what face he had on, and he sincerely hoped that it didn’t look too stupid in front of all the cameras.

Kol watched him, knowing that her nervousness really just what it was. She internally thanked Harry for calming her down enough not to make another mistake. She really had half-convinced herself that the wedding was wrong and it wasn’t going to happen.

She was here to take him just as he was, and it didn’t seem like a bad bargain either. He looked so handsome and dashing in his tuxedo. Ralph Lauren took the measurements himself. Kol wanted the excuse to talk to him about his car collection, and Niall had suggested the designer for his suit.

Niall’s eyes were strikingly bluer than usual. His hair was swept in that careful disarrayed quiff that he would surely ruffle in the events later.

All this time, they had ben calling him the lucky one, but in reality, she was the one who had all the luck. Everything that had happened seemed to lead to this moment. Even with the trials, the heartbreak and all the internal conflicts, it just strengthened them both.

The ceremony started, just as tradition went. Kol kept her eyes on the priest, but Niall kept his hand tightly bound to hers.

The pledge came simply and quickly.

“Kol,” the priest started and turned to her first, “do you take Niall to be your wedded husband and in the presence of these witnesses do you vow that you will do everything in your power to make your love for him a growing part of your life? Will you continue to strengthen it from day to day and week to week with your best resources? Will you stand by him in sickness or in health, in poverty or in wealth, and will you shun all others and keep yourself to him alone as long as you both shall live?”

Without a doubt. “I do.”

The priest then turned to Niall. “Niall, do you take Kol to be your wedded wife and in the presence of these witnesses do you vow that you will do everything in your power to make your love for her a growing part of your life? Will you continue to strengthen it from day to day and week to week with your best resources? Will you stand by her in sickness or in health, in poverty or in wealth, and will you shun all others and keep yourself to her alone as long as you both shall live?”

“No worries,” Niall said smiling, and then in his usual way added, “I mean, I do.”