Chapter 45

“Yeah, I tried waking him up earlier,” Kol said, talking to Paul on the phone. “His fever really is going up. I don’t think he’s in shape to fly out with the rest of the boys today.”

“How’s he doing?” Paul asked, from the other end of the phone.

Kol furrowed her brow. “He’s really weak. He hasn’t been up from the bed, and even when he tries, he ends up falling onto the floor. I have to drag him back up on the bed. He also keeps throwing up. I’m really sorry. I won’t let him travel in this condition, Paul.”

“Of course I understand,” Paul said. “Tell him from everyone that we hope he gets better soon. He can fly out then.”

“I will. Thanks Paul, and sorry if the fans for the first show will be disappointed that he won’t be there.”

“We can’t do anything about it now. Just make sure he’s all right, yeah? Bye, love. See you soon, hopefully,” Paul said, ending the call after.

Kol pocketed her phone and brought up some peppermint tea and soup on a tray upstairs to their bedroom. Niall had tried getting up to reach the flight, and she had to hide the fact that she was calling Paul that he couldn’t.

“Nialler?” Kol said, pushing the door open using her behind. Niall was at the edge of the bed, looking pale and sickly. He was in a shirt and jeans, and he was bending down, trying to put his shoes on. He looked like he was having a bad time of it though, from the look of his face. Kol put down the tray by the bedside and went over to kneel by his side. “Niall, you can’t go out.”

“But I have to,” he said, rubbing his eyes. “I took some of that stuff for the headache.”

“But you feel really hot, Niall,” she said, putting the back of her hand to his forehead. He started swaying and ended up falling back on the bed. He tried getting up again, but she stopped him. “Look, I already told Paul to go ahead. You’re too ill and he understands that it’s your health. Now get back into bed and stop trying to get up.”

She helped him get into the proper position under the covers, and she took off his shoes for him. He didn’t even look like he had the energy to argue anymore.

Kol had brought up the soup, hoping that it wouldn’t be coming up as bile later. He didn’t seem to be holding anything in his stomach. Poor Niall. She put the tray on the bed and took the bowl, trying to feed him.

Niall opened his mouth and let her put some soup in his mouth. He grimaced after swallowing though and said, “No. I feel like gagging.”

She put it back to the side. Kol wanted to help, but he just threw up again in a pail that was right next to him.

She went over to the closet and took out a towel and ran hot water on it. Kol went back to Niall and wiped his face with it. He smiled slightly up at her and said, “Thanks shorty.”

“Do you want anything else?”

“Can you just stay here?” Niall said, looking miserable.