Chapter 7

“Poo poo,” Niall said into the microphone as they did their sound check. It was the first half hour, and the fans that had the VIP ticket thing would be let in for the second half of the soundcheck.

He strummed his guitar once and looked back at the boys, as someone instructed them on their blocking.

Kol was waiting alone in one of the seats close to the stage, but not quite close that it would hurt her ears because of the sound.

Kol was silent as she leant her head in her right hand. She wasn’t feeling very great today. She had a really bad headache when she woke up that morning, and her throat was a little sore. The shoot earlier didn’t exactly help in alleviating any of her pains. Even her outfit choice displayed this. The loose clothing had come back for her today. She had a tank top on and distressed fold up boyfriend jeans, since she didn’t want tight skinny jeans that were difficult to move in. She had chosen one of Niall’s jackets to cover up her bare arms, and stole one of Harry’s beanies.

Of course, this look didn’t make her look very tall and slim, so she had to put on oxford wedges to make her look not as bedraggled. She would still be most likely photographed anytime, so she had to be ready to look a bit presentable.

The music started to ring in her eyes and she was starting to get a massive headache. Kol stood up and tucked her phone inside her pocket.

She rubbed her eyes and made her way slowly down the rows of seats. Kol had been planning to have a lie down backstage, but as she got to the aisle, her vision started to blur a bit and she had to hold onto a chair for support.

Her breaths evened out and her vision cleared long enough for her to stand up again.

“You okay, love?” Chris said as he made her way to her while he patrolled the premises.

“Yeah, fine. Go back to whatever you were doing. I’m great.”

Chris nodded his head, but looked doubtful. He had to get back to work though, since there might have been a slippery fan who managed to make her way into the arena.

Kol hadn’t eaten properly in the past two days. Her meals were inadequate and irregular. Her smoking had replaced most of her hunger, and she needed sleeping pills to get her to fall asleep these days.

Even she knew there was something unhealthy about her recent habits, but she basically had no appetite and she was plagued with insomnia.

Maybe if she reached the dressing room on time, she could get some rest. That was her main goal for today, since she didn’t want to worry anyone.

Her vision started to blur again as she shivered unconsciously. She suddenly felt cold and her footsteps were staggered.

She was short of breath and she fell on her knees and ended up on her hands as well. Kol couldn’t find an ounce of strength to get up, even though she tried. Her arms felt weak and her body heavy. The pounding in her head seemed to magnify and her chest felt tight.

Niall had been focused on sound check, but when he saw Kol getting up from her place, he kept her in peripheral view. Once she ended up falling though, he thoughtlessly removed his guitar and leapt off the stage and the boundary toward her.

“Kol!” he said when he got to her. He knelt down and put her over his lap. Her eyes were half-closed and her lips were dry. “Babe?”

Niall looked back up at the stage, and yelled, “Paul! Help please!”

There were other people in the vicinity that had gathered to see what was wrong, but Niall kept insisting for them to back up to let her breathe. She ended up fainting completely once Paul got to her though.

“I’ve got the car to take her to the nearest hospital,” Paul said, gathering her from Niall’s arms and carrying her himself. “You’ve got to stay here with the boys, lad. I’ll go with her.”

“No,” Niall protested. “I’m coming with you. Just take me back in time for the concert.”

Paul debated with himself for a few seconds and finally said, “Fine, but when I tell you to go back, you go. Got it?”

Niall couldn’t negotiate anymore, so he took it as they rushed towards the back door where the car would be. He didn’t pay any attention to his surroundings, as he just kept his eyes trained on Kol’s face.

The hospital had immediately checked her into one of their private rooms, since she was a high-profile patient. It wouldn’t be long before the news got out that she had just collapsed in the middle of sound check. Niall was just glad that it didn’t happen when the fans were already inside. That would have resulted in more drama than really needed.

Niall had to wait out in the hall with Preston as Paul signed some paperwork for the hospital. He was sick with concern and just wanted to see that Kol was fine.

After half an hour of waiting with just Preston to reassure him, one of the nurses finally called him in. They were then led to a room, where Paul was talking quietly to a doctor right outside.

Without bothering to stop, Niall headed straight into the room to see her.

There was an IV attached to her arm and she was in a hospital gown, but she otherwise looked fine. She was awake, but just barely. When she saw Niall enter the room, she smiled faintly.

“Sorry I worried you babe,” she said weakly.

“What’s wrong?”

“Just a little bit dehydrated. I haven’t been properly eating either. I’ll be fine. They might let me out tomorrow or the day after if I’m well enough.”

“Fuck. You really scared me there for a minute, shorty,” Niall said, trying not to sound so breathless. “You have to listen to me more.”

She smiled. She looked very tired. There were circles under her eyes that he hadn’t noticed before. The hospital staff must have cleaned her up and removed all the makeup that was on her face.

“I’m sorry I worried you, Nialler,” she said softly, reaching to his face and stroking his hair as she pushed his snapback off. “So much for lasting until dinner.”

“Something’s been bothering you that you haven’t told me yet,” he said, leaning in so she wouldn’t have to reach so far. She looked down but continued massaging his temples. She really knew what he liked.

“I guess…it’s been the accumulation of a lot of stress. I guess it’s also because I keep thinking about you and how I’m getting worse at the long-distance relationship part. You get homesick too, but I seem to be worse at it.”

Niall looked at her intently. She had been telling him a lot of her fears, especially when it came to him. This intensified greatly after their conversation when she had explained to Niall why her virginity was even more important to her than it did before. He could see that she was breaking down under the pressure and loneliness.

“I love you, you know that right?” he said, reaching over and kissing her on the forehead. “Take care of yourself for me please. It wasn’t nice seeing you fall like that.”

Paul knocked on the door and entered. “Niall, you have to get back to the arena. You still need to do the meet and greet, and get ready for the show.”

Niall looked at Kol hesitantly, before getting up and putting his snapback on. “I’ll see you later after the show, shorty. Love you.”

“Love you too. Good luck. Tell the boys I said so. I fainted. I didn’t have a heart attack.”

“I’ll stay with her, don’t worry,” Paul reassured Niall. “Someone’s got to make sure no one sneaks in, and we’re a bit tight on people right now. I guess I’ll have to do.”

“See. I will be in very capable hands,” Kol said. “Now shoo. I’m going to get some more sleep before you get back.”

 ~

Hope you liked it! Finally am somewhat updating in a consistent fashion. I'd love to know what you think of it so far though! More comments please! :( Hope you all had a great weekend! Also, I'd love to dedicate a chapter to a fan for every chapter! I dedicate based on the votes and comments!

Don't fortget to vote and comment! :) xxx