Chapter 32

“Really, that douchebag is the best photographer for it?” Niall said when she got home and explained to him. She only had about an hour before she had to leave again for the wedding dress fitting. She would be having it at the local Vera Wang store, since Vera would be custom-making her one and the first fitting was today.

“I could have hired someone else, but I don’t want to explain why I wouldn’t get him to my team,” she said pleasantly. “I’ll be at probably four shoots. I won’t be at all of them. I’ll be at the first few ones, but when they get used to it, they can handle it themselves.”

“I don’t like it.”

“Why not? Don’t your trust me?”

“I don’t trust him,” he said, clearly in a mood. This was going worse than she expected. “He’s too…you know…him.”

She raised her eyebrows at him and resisted smiling. “Are you threatened by him Nialler? I mean, with his good looks and all.”

He looked formidable when she mentioned ‘good looks’. “Don’t even let anyone hear you say that. What will people think of your taste?”

“Right, I think I know where this is going,” Kol said, now amused. Niall had that look on his face when he was trying to act cool, but he was failing at it terribly. “Are you threatened by him?”

He made these sounds that sounded like farting, but not really. He was just giving out breaths as if the idea was preposterous. “I am not threatened by that guy, of all people.”

“You are really bad at lying, you realize,” Kol said, lounging on the couch and watching him sputter.

“No I’m not,” Niall said. “That would mean that I’m lying right now, which I’m not.”

She smiled serenely at him, just nodding her head slightly, not believing a word. “So you won’t mind if I have coffee alone with Meath to finalize the concept for the shoot…?”

“You are not meeting up with Meath, especially not alone with him over fucking coffee,” Niall said, pointing his finger at her threateningly and he had his other hand on his waist. He looked like a harassed housewife, rather than a dangerous boyfriend.

She bit her lips together, suppressing the grin that was about to surface eventually. Kol knew that she had to look at least a little serious, since Niall was feeling in a genuine argumentative mood.

This might turn into an actual fight wherein she was snapping back at him, if she angered him.

“You do realize that it’s business for me?” Kol said, practical now. “I can’t let personal things get in the way of business. I don’t want to fire him because he was my ex.”

“I’m not going on that shoot,” Niall said stubbornly, crossing his arms, as he remained standing. He was right in front of her, thus making her feel very small.

“Then I won’t need to have to talk to management, since not all five of you will be there,” she said, getting impatient now. She took out her phone. If he didn’t want to do it because of Meath, then fine. She could just call management and tell them that the boys were representing it individually, so she didn’t need to contact them.

“So it would be nicer if I don’t do it, since you don’t have to deal with management?” Niall said, taking it the wrong way. She probably shouldn’t have taken out her phone at that time. “Less money to spend, isn’t it? The boys would do it for you for free.”

“That is not what I meant, Niall,” she said, surprised at the turn this took. She just said it so that he would retract what he said and he might probably end up snuggling up to her to convince her again. “You make too much of a big deal over such small things. What the hell.”

“I’m not making a big deal about it,” Niall said, his jaw clenching at this point. “You’re just not taking me seriously.”

Dimples scampered into the room, wanting some attention. They had custody of him right now. Harry had just taken him back this morning, after Kol left. He had gotten in through the dog flap in the kitchen.

Even Dimples sensed the vibe going on between Kol and Niall, since he suddenly curled up on the floor, whimpering.

“That’s because there’s nothing to worry about!” she said heatedly. “I only told you about him because you would obviously see him at the shoot. I wasn’t trying to make you jealous or anything!”

“So you’re saying that if you didn’t have me and the lads in your list, you wouldn’t have told me?” he responded, putting up and eyebrow.

She sighed, not even bothering to talk back.

“Don’t look at me like that,” he said, his face stony.

“Look, I have to go to the fitting and the travel time takes long enough,” she said, taking her bag and rubbing Dimples’ head affectionately. “We’ll talk later.”

“Fine, just run away from the argument. See if I care,” he said, stomping over to the other room, which was where the recording equipment and instruments were placed. He slammed the door behind him.

Kol just found it sort of ironic that they were fighting right before she was having her outfit fitting for her wedding dress. She didn’t know if it was a bad omen or not.

He suddenly went out of the room and trudged out. That just ruined his dramatic exit.

He stopped in front of her and said, “I forgot something.”

He took her face in his hands and kissed her on the lips. She was so surprised that her eyes stayed open and her arms had stayed at her sides in alarm.

When he pulled away, he said, “I’ll see you later. Enjoy your fitting, shorty.” He stomped back in the same fashion as he did the first time, without the door slam this time. Kol just stared after him.

That was unexpected.

As much as she didn’t like how Niall brought everything completely out of proportion, he just continued to deliver with the dramatic act and do something that was even more melodramatic. He was so unpredictable.

Kol would sometimes wonder what went on in his head, just for lack of understanding him sometimes.

In a considerably better mood now, she took out her keys from her pocket and went back inside the car to drive to Vera Wang.