Chapter 17

I've a week left before freedom! Wish me luck on all my requirements! xx Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!

For the Hunger Games fans as well who are reading this, I've got a new HG ff in the horizon so look out for that! Enjoy!

~

The two of them were heading toward Niall’s car as they exited the Church earlier than most of the people. Attending mass was something that had become routine, but it was better to avoid the large crowds that were coming out. Of all places to get noticed and approached, it was there that Kol felt the most uncomfortable.

They were currently arguing because of her decision to not wake Niall earlier that morning.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” Niall said, taking out his keys and resting the sunglasses back over his eyes. After that, his hand went automatically toward hers. It seemed a futile gesture, since the car was only a few more feet away, but it was one that they had gone back to.

“Because you came home late and you didn’t seem to get enough sleep the past few days because of work,” she said, as if it was an obvious reason. “I just wanted you to rest on your day off. I go alone all the time.”

“Yeah, but for a long time, you don’t anymore whenever I’m around,” he countered. “I go with you, even when you think I’m not interested or if I’m bored.”

“You know that you don’t have to. I’m not making you believe or do anything that you don’t want to.”

He opened the door for her and went towards the driver’s side. Once they were both inside the car did he speak again, “Kol, think of it this way. You make me want to be a better person. Just let me be one.”

“Stop with the cheesy crap already,” she said, buckling her seatbelt. “Are we going with Harry to the Armani fashion show after lunch at his house? He seems to still be undecided when it comes to his invitation.”

“Someone from the Armani team called me up and said that they’ve reserved front seats for the three of us though,” Niall said. He was driving to Harry’s place for lunch. They didn’t know who else would be there, but it was sort of becoming a routine for them as well.

“Is there a time deadline when he has to say that he’s going?” Kol said. She obviously was going, since she was in fashion. Aside from being a model, she also had her own line. It was pretty tricky, being competition when at the same time, she was used in their shows. She was even approached to walk for the particular show, to which she declined because of other work-related things. Instead, she offered to show her support instead, towing some One Direction boys along with her as well. It was a pretty fair deal, and she would be building a good relationship with the brand.

Niall was obviously going as well, since he still felt like he had to make up for many faults. Kol really wasn’t counting anymore at this point. She was just glad to have him back.

A few weeks could change a lot of things. Niall had been…nothing short of perfect. Everything seemed to be going well, despite the magnified interest of the media on their rekindled relationship.

“I don’t think so. They’ll probably wait up for him even at the last minute, and just bump someone up if he doesn’t show,” Niall said. “You know how it is. Why do you think they called me instead of you? They knew you’d be too busy to call and they wanted their message to be sent to you.”

“You’re getting smarter in business there,” she said, flipping out a mirror so that she could re-apply her lipstick.

“It pays to have you as a girlfriend,” he said, smiling. He turned left at an intersection, which was a shortcut that led to Harry’s.

There was a call on Kol’s phone. Helen, a model friend of hers, was on the other end. “Hold on. I need to get this.”

“I slept with him. I slept with him. Oh what the hell is wrong with me, Kol? I thought I was under control. A few drinks and a little flirting and I ended up back at his place. Fuck fuck. Fuckity fuck. I don’t know what’s worse.” That was the stream of sentences that came out from the other end of the phone, with Helen’s frantic voice resonating throughout the car.

“Right,” Kol said, feeling every bit sympathetic for Helen. Helen had the unfortunate tendency to never say no. She was a bit of a flirt, but she was nice all around and everyone loved her. She also had a tendency to get attracted to the bad sort of men, and she had a knack for getting them interested in her. “When did this happen?”

“Sort of yesterday…”

“Helen, remember what I said before.”

“Yeah, that it’s okay to experience bad things so that I know never to repeat it again.”

“So what the hell did you go around for, sleeping with him? He’s obviously not the type to call in the morning. Mix a few drinks the night before and it’s a sure thing.”

“I feel so stupid, Kol.” She sounded distraught. “Why can’t I be more like you?”

Kol made a sound of impatience. “Helen, you’re such a nice person. It’s sort of disappointing me that you keep doing this to yourself. You could invest yourself in a nice guy, but you keep doing this.”

“You promise you won’t tell anyone, right? You know everything Kol. I’m so sorry.”

“Helen, you don’t have to be sorry for anything. Your secret’s safe with me.” She put the phone to her shoulder so that Helen couldn’t hear what she said to Niall, “And you’re not telling anyone what you heard either, got it?”

“I wasn’t even saying anything,” Niall said, chuckling as Kol got back to the phone.

“I’ll set you up. I know someone who likes you, and maybe you’ll like him too.”

“No more dating for me first. I really need to reassess my priorities,” she said, sounding miserable. Then there was a pause. “But it won’t do any harm for one date, right? I mean, I trust your taste in men. You wouldn’t set me up with a total sleaze.”

Kol smiled. “I’ll get right to it. Take care okay? Do some shopping and get your mind off things.”

She hung up the phone just in time, as Niall parked by Harry’s driveway.

“Who is this wonderful man that you’re setting her up with then?” Niall said, shutting down the engine.

“I’m thinking about Jordan. He’s a set designer for a lot of stuff. I don’t know if she’s met him yet, but he’s got the biggest crush on her.”

“Why do you think he’ll do well for her?” Niall said, opening the door to the car.

“Because when you like someone that much, you’ll go at great lengths to keep them happy. Jordan won’t believe that something like that would be happening to him, so he’ll treat her well. Isn’t that what you did?” Kol said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before getting out of the car.

“I did not have the biggest crush on you,” Niall said indignantly, his face turning red. “I liked you. I didn’t think it would end up this serious, but I just liked you.”

“I didn’t say that you had the biggest crush on me,” she said smoothly. “I just mean that you do a lot of things to treat me well, and that’s when you’ve already got me. What more for Jordan, who’s still trying to hook the girl, right?”

“You girls are too complicated to understand. I’ll just go in and see if Harry’s in the mood for a pint,” Niall said, going around the back.

Kol greeted Dimples, the One Direction bulldog and gathered the dog in her arms. “You’re going home with us later today, lovely.”