Camp Vargas Pt. 2

Part 2: Survival of the Fittest Idiots
——————————

After a few minutes of going through the forest, Epel's face popped up, relieving Charlie with some familiarity.

"Hey there!" she waved, approaching them.

"Oh! Grim! Charlie!" Epel took notice first.

"We came to check on you guys." Grim notified. "This is one of the prime areas, right? For collecting firewood?"

"Yea!" Epel showed them the pile of sticks he had gotten thus far.

"Ruggie told me to grab specific sticks

"Ruggie told me to grab specific sticks." he explained.

"Yea, but you also got thin branches, too. You sure they're meant for a fire?" Grim was doubtful.

"Don't sweat it." Ruggie, overhearing their talk, jumped in with a subtle wave o his hand. "Thick sticks burn longer, but they waste up time tryna make the actual fire. So with the smaller twigs, they'll burn faster.

"If you say so...."

"Well, how are we gonna start the fire?" Epel asked. "We've no matches or a lighter and using magic is breaking the rules. We're in a pickle...."

"Nah, it's pretty simple. Just follow me and I'll show you how it's done. You too, Charlie! I'll need your help."

"Sure!" the girl smiled, following after the two, Grim clinging onto her shoulder.
——————————

As soon as the three had came back to home-base, Leona twitched and his eyes opened to see the trio approaching.

"Huh, you're back pretty early." he mumbled.

"Leona, you've been here all along?!" Grim said. "No surprise since you're a free loader...."

"Yea? And you wanna say that to my face, Fur Ball?" Leona sat up, glaring hard at Grim, who cowered behind Charlie's leg.

"N-N-No thanks!!!" he shook in fear.

"Charlie! I need you!" Ruggie called for her.

"Coming!" she called back, kicking Grim away lightly and running towards the pyre as Grim wailed for her to come back and protect him.

"So, again, Ruggie, how are we gonna start this fire?" Epel asked.

"First, get some dry rock on the ground. And pile on leaves and twigs." he instructed. Epel and Charlie got to work, as she laid down the rocks in a perfect circle and Epel layered on several small leaves and twigs in the circle. Ruggie lifted three tall sticks and had Charlie hold them together at the top as he coiled strong rope around them and knotted them together securely. "Okay, now with these last two stones, we'll use a steel file as well-"

"Did you bring that from home?!" Grim interrupted.

"No, it's from the toolbox." Ruggie corrected. "Now, we just strike the stones against the file." he held the rocks in one hand and the file in the other, striking down on the metal sharp and fast as small sparks flew onto the kindling, setting a few alight.