A

Prelude: From Humble Beginnings
————————-

I always knew I was different. Even from an early age. And those differences are what set me apart yet made me anew.

Like most kids, I grew up with a normal childhood. But unlike the boys who'd play pretend, and the girls that liked to "spread gossip" around the playground., I did things no others could do. I'd let my imagination storm through my mind. Through books I've read, I'd imagine what I believed I could be. One day, I'd be Christine Daae singing in the famous Opera House in 1800's France from Gaston Leroux's the Phantom of the Opera. Or I'd be like Jackie Chan and take down an evil crime syndicate like in Rush Hour. I'd use my paintball gun and pretend I was the world deadliest female assassin in the James Bond universe; the next Lea Salonga portraying Kim in Miss Saigon.

Whatever I had set my mind to, I made it happen. Paintball, Hapkido, Music lessons, Acting and Dancing, I'd do it all with no hesitation.

Little had I known that my being different would lead to something else.

The world was full of darkness, no matter where I turned. The children my age was what started the fire. Pointing fingers, sneering and laughing, taunting and berating me, ME! I'd never fit in with the other kids because of me being so "different". Which led to me having so few friends.

They'd say it like it was a taboo. That I was a taboo. And for the first time, my fragile child self had felt.....

Darkness.

Their words plagued me night and day. All the way to adolescence. I felt sick. I tried for change, even cutting my hair! But nothing worked.....Maybe they were right. Maybe I am not like them like I thought I'd be.

Looking into the mirror, it was like I became someone I didn't know. And...it scared me. I didn't want this! I want to be who I'm meant to be! And I'd do it my way! No one else's opinions would matter but my own!

And those words spoke clear to me. They opened something within me that I never knew was there, and from that day forth....I made my promise to change for better. I'll be the person I was destined to be, in the best way that I could picture myself!

From thirteen to now, everything matured. I matured. And made myself into someone who was .....

Unique.

Short hair, then braids, shoulder blade length, back to a bob, then grown to my waistline.

Gone we're the glitzy tees and skirts and running shoes. Goodbye collared shirts and gauzy blouses, hello simple feminine tops, shorts and jeans, boots and stylish sneakers. A necklace or two, with a smile on my lips. And my hair done in any way, shape or form! The Ugly Duckling has become a Matured and Graceful Swan.

All throughout high school, my maturity made a lasting impact on me! I did things I felt like were my own! I joined clubs, became more involved in school activities and broke out of my shell more! I could look a person in the eye without shrinking away and say what I wanted to. With zero hesitation! .....okay maybe some, but still! I was who I was! And nothing could change that!

......but little did I know that I held something within me that I had yet to discover and would lead me down a rabbit hole I never thought I'd stumble into....