D

"Flames that turn even stars into ashes,
Ice that imprison even time,
Earth that can swallow even the sky,
Don't be afraid of the power of darkness
Come now. Show your powers.
Mine, theirs and yours.
There's only little time left for us.
Do not let go of that hand at all costs."

My eyes open. What the hell was that?

Was I....talking in my sleep? Again?

I shook my head. There's no way I'd speak something as nonsensical as that. Whatever it was....

I push up out of bed; time to start another day.

And my goal: find out what is exactly behind that door!
——————————————
I chewed on my oatmeal slowly, letting the taste of apples and brown sugar overtake my tongue.

"I need to think this through." I mutter into the dead air. "How can I find what's behind the door without aunt Sam knowing?"

"Charlotte? Ci sei?" Speak of the devil.

"Sì, Zia!" I go back to chewing.

My aunt's wearing a light yellow shirt, some worn out yoga pants and some rubber sandals. A wide brimmed straw hat sits atop her head.

"Oh, good! I was wondering where you were." She noted, moving towards the sliding back doors. "I'm going to do some gardening. Answer the phone while I'm out." I nod absently at her instructions. Just as I heard the door slide shut, I scooped the last spoonful in my mouth. Taking it to the sink, I run it with water.

Time to go to work.
———————————
With my usual getup on and a quick wash up, I creep towards my aunt's room carefully.

This is wrong. This is wrong. I'm so focused, but it's still wrong!

I've been told various times to stay out of my aunt's room as a child. I never bothered questioning it. I was just that obedient to my elders.

Nothing much. Just a vintage white and silver bedroom.

I walk and scan the room carefully. Nothing so far.

Wait. A glass cabinet. Filled with memoirs and stuff. BINGO!

I lift the handle carefully, making sure the hinges aren't squeaking, and push the door away. Just some glass figurines and old jewelry. A few wedding photos of her and uncle, a beautiful key sitting on a pillow-

Huh?!

I look again. There, on a plush velvet pillow, sat an intricate key, definitely looking like something out of old school Victorian Era.

 There, on a plush velvet pillow, sat an intricate key, definitely looking like something out of old school Victorian Era

I thought back to what I saw from the door. Yea, there was definitely a lock.

The hose stopped. Fuck!