30: Back Off

Saph

My breathing was starting to grow unsteady as I was watching Blake make his way towards me. I involuntarily took a few steps forward, widening my eyes as if to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

"Who's that?" Niall asked, coming over to stand beside me. The harsh realisation of what was about to take place hit me like a ton of bricks, squishing me against the cold and rough pavement. I didn't have the time to answer as Blake came closer and closer. But even if I did, I'd have no idea what to say to him to try and salvage the situation.

"I'm back!" Blake announced, ignoring Niall's presence as if he wasn't right next to me and extended his arms, expecting that I'd jump into them like I always did when he would finally show up. A few painfully slow seconds ticked by as he kept waiting for my response to his gesture that never came. I stared at him wide eyed, swallowing hard as I felt all colour drain from me.

"Saph, what the hell? I finally come back and this is how you welcome me home?" Blake asked puzzled, letting his arms drop to his sides and raising an eyebrow. I glanced at Niall momentarily to see him staring at Blake, jaw clenched and cheeks flustered. I knew he recognised him from that one time he picked me up. And if Blake's shoulder length black hair wasn't enough of an indication to reveal his identity, the Harley he just climbed off of was enough to confirm his suspicions.

"Come on, I know you missed me." He smirked, bringing a hand up to my cheek. I flinched away from his sudden touch, feeling uneasy with just the thought of his hands touching me. He was caught off guard when I pushed his hand away, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"What are you doing here?" I finally said, struggling to keep my voice loud enough to be able to be heard. My head was jumbled, struggling to figure out why he was acting like everything was fine when I made my feelings towards him very clear.

"Came to pick you up. We can go back to my place." He casually said, as if nothing has happened in the course of the month he was gone. He attempted to take my hand but I yanked mine away before he managed to reach it. I took a step back, trying to create more space between him and I. Niall looked at me with an unreadable expression. A mix of confusion and anger on his face. Blake took a step forward and tried to grab my hand again, but his movement got blocked by Niall.

"Back off." He snarled at him, pushing me behind him slightly. Niall was just a a little taller than Blake, but neither the height difference nor the tone of Niall's voice could ever intimidate Blake. And that was apparent when he laughed in response, shaking his head lightly.

"Step aside kid." He snorted, managing to get ahold of my wrist and snatching me past Niall and towards him.

"Hey! Who do you think you are, yanking her like that?" Niall snapped, breaking the firm hold Blake had on me by gripping his hand and yanking it off of mine. Everything was happening so fast, I couldn't even realise what was going on, let alone speak.

"I'm her fucking boyfriend you idiot!" Blake shouted, making the air drain from my lungs. Niall froze, staring at Blake in disbelief before his head turned to me slowly. The hurt and disappointment in his stare when he looked at me was enough to make my entire body shake, my heart to beat out of my chest and my throat to dry up completely.

"Boyfriend? Then what am I? A fill in?" He asked me, his eyebrows furrowed, his stare harsh and his teeth gritted. I gripped his forearm with both my hands to keep him there, afraid he'd walk away.

"No! I can explain!" I frantically spoke, but I was cut off when he pulled his arm away from my grip and shook his head.

"I'll save you the trouble." He scoffed, walking around me and towards the driver's side of his car.