36: Invited

Saph

Walking into the kitchen, I tossed my bag onto a stool before going to the fridge. I got the milk out and placed it on the counter, opening a cupboard to find a bowl and grabbing a spoon from a drawer before I settled on what type of cereal to have for breakfast. I subconsciously hummed the song that Niall sang to me yesterday under my breath as I prepared my breakfast.

"Someone's in a good mood." Cameron commented as he walked into the kitchen, dropping his backpack on the floor before he got a bowl to have some cereal too. I shrugged, taking a stool and having a spoonful of cereal.

"I have no reason not to be." He smiled at my answer and nodded, putting the milk back in the fridge and coming over to sit next to me.

"Thanks for yesterday by the way. We had a great time." He quietly spoke, patting my shoulder. I returned the smile he gave me, reassuring him that we had fun too. A few minutes later, my mum walked in and I'd be lying if I said I didn't forget she was here.

"Morning!" She beamed, heading straight to the coffee maker.

"Morning mum. Where's dad?" Cameron asked her as I chose to stay silent.

"Oh, he already left for work. He had a very early meeting scheduled." She shrugged, pouring herself some coffee and coming over to lean onto the counter across from us.

"So, what did you two do last night? I noticed that you came back together." She asked, smiling as she looked between us both. I cleared my throat in an attempt to let Cameron know he should take the lead in answering the question, since I didn't wanna risk saying anything dumb.

"Yeah, we went out with some mutual friends." He vaguely answered, avoiding going into more detail.

"Oh, that's lovely. I'm glad you two are spending time together." She brightly smiled, showing her perfectly whitened teeth before she took a sip of her coffee.

"Did you have a good time?" She added, looking mostly at me. I quickly nodded, stuffing the last spoonful into my mouth in an attempt to avoid talking.

"Yeah it was pretty fun." Cameron answered her instead, stirring the now soggy cereal around with his spoon. His appetite was gone and I could tell how miserable he felt thinking that he couldn't be honest with her. Knowing my mother, I was sure she'd accept his life choices but it was his decision to make when to tell her so I had no say in the matter. My mother didn't seem to notice Cameron's sudden mood change and turned her full attention to me.

"How's Niall?" She excitedly asked, taking me by surprise by the sudden interest and the fact that she remembered his name. I looked at her confused, furrowing my eyebrows but I answered her nonetheless.

"He's good. He's picking me up in a few." I informed her as she stretched over to get my empty bowl, taking it to the sink.

"How nice of him. You know Sapphire, I really like this boy. And your father does too, he just doesn't wanna accept that you're sexually active." She casually said, causing Cameron to choke out a small laugh. I mentally cursed myself, thinking back to the first encounter Niall and my father had. I said that I had just slept with him straight to my father's face when in reality we hadn't even kissed yet. At the time, I didn't realise how embarrassing that must've been for Niall. I was too blinded by my anger and I regret that I let my fury prevail, resulting in such immature behaviour on my part.