56: Seventeen Again

Saph

I was always a strong minded person, ever since I was a teenager. I didn't really comply to rules and orders that much and I never cared about authority. I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a rebel, but I was definitely not someone easy to control. And I had a habit of talking back, maybe a bit more than what was good for me.

For better or for worse, my daughter had shown signs of following in my footsteps. Her character was scarily similar to mine sometimes and even though I was secretly happy about that, she definitely gave her father a run for his money.

Today was no exception. As me, Niall and Elliot were all gathered in the kitchen for a quick breakfast before we all had to leave, Maeve joined us and took a seat next to her younger brother on the kitchen island.

"Morning gem." Niall smiled at her, refilling his mug with some fresh coffee as he remained standing on the other side of the island.

"Morning dad, morning mum." She smiled, turning her head to look at her brother with a raised eyebrow

"Booger." She chuckled, knowing she'd only annoy him with that name. He let out a whiney 'Hey', dropping his fork onto his half eaten plate of breakfast. Leaning next to the sink nearby with my own mug of coffee, I compressed a smile.

"Have breakfast darling and get ready. We're leaving in an hour." I smiled at her, motioning towards the the array of breakfast options in front of her. It was Saturday, and I always made an extra on the weekends with breakfast instead of just providing cereal. Today I had prepared waffles, bacon, scrambled eggs and muffins. Having two kids entailed that both me and Niall had to learn how to cook at some point.

"Do you know when we'll be back?" She asked, avoiding both mine and her father's gaze as she began placing some food in her plate.

"Why are you asking?" I spoke, glancing at Niall as he looked back at me.

"Because there's this party tonight at Sadie's house. My whole class will be there."

"So?" Niall asked, seemingly unbothered as he sipped on his coffee. To my surprise, he had turned out to be the strict parent. I thought I'd have to take up that role since I was the one spending the most time with the kids when they were little, but I was wrong.

"So, I wanna go." Maeve shrugged just as unbothered, cutting a piece of waffle to eat. Niall sighed, looking back at me.

"Maevie, I told you yesterday to not make any plans. We've been planning this barbeque for almost a month and we'll most likely stay at your uncles' house until late." I spoke, keeping my voice calm and soothing. What I told her was the truth. We wouldn't only be seeing Cam and Harry, but everyone else as well. Kris, Claudia, Liam, Louis and Zayn were all set to join with their families and managing to get everyone's schedules to align was near impossible.

"But everyone's gonna be there!" She groaned, throwing her head back.

"Maeve, we're not debating this. We're spending the entire day with your aunts and uncles and that's final." Niall gave her a warning look but he sometimes forgot she had taken after me, so she was bound to talk back.

"Oh, come on! I just wanna go to a party and have fun with my friends! Who do I have to spend all day at the barbeque?" She complained, looking between the both of us. Elliot had not paused eating the entire time, his head darting to whoever was talking like he was watching a tennis match.

"Maeve." I quietly warned, widening my eyes at her to signal her to back down, knowing that Niall would tell her off about her tone. He took a deep breath, standing up straight and folding his arms over his chest.