55: Reminiscing

Saph

"Maeve! Time to leave for school." I shouted towards the staircase, standing right at the doorway with my purse over my shoulder and keys in my hand. Elliot was already gone, since he always took the bus to meet up with his friends. Maeve was not a bus person. Can't blame her.

"I know, I know! I was putting my contacts in!" She complained as she jogged down the stairs, green backpack in hand. I opened the door for her, still amazed that she was so grown up.

I was still in disbelief that the wrinkled little red thing that came out of me fifteen years ago was now almost a grown woman. And she was so beautiful, but just like her father. She had recently begged me to dye her hair blonde. Seeing as mine was still blue, I'd be a hypocrite if I hadn't let her. But the lighter shade compared to her natural ashy brown always reminded me of her father when he was a teenager.

And she wore glasses like him too, big square ones that she refused to wear at school and thus always went with contacts in. She really took after him and even though his eyes were absolutely stunning, they were completely shit at doing what they were supposed to. He was pretty much blind without glasses or contacts, especially now that he had gotten older. Turning fourty two does that to a person.

Maeve was dedicated to her phone while I drove her to school, twirling a strand of her long hair between her fingers. I could see her texting from the corner of my eye, though she scoffed in annoyance after a while.

"What's wrong princess?" I asked, knowing the old nickname I had for her when she was little would annoy her more. She glared at me, which was to be expected. But she went on responding, giving me a brief explanation of what was going on. She wouldn't tell me everything about her life, but she would tell me a few things here and there. That was good enough for me.

"There's this boy I have to do a History project with and he just texted me."

"Okay, what's the problem with that?"

"The problem is that he's so annoying, I literally can't stand him for even a second! But our teacher just had to put us together."

"Why do you hate him? Is he mean?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows.

"No, at least not to me. He's just too... happy. Does that make sense? Oh, I just wanna punch him in the face sometimes." I had to stifle a laugh at her words. She may be a visual copy of her father, but she definitely got my character. And that made me a bit proud.

"Yeah, I get why you feel like that, but remember to give people a chance, don't judge them too quickly." I smiled, giving her advice I've given her in the past. She groaned, slumping further into her seat.

"Yeah, I know the story. You hated dad when you met and now you love him. Heard it a million times." She complained, being a bit overdramatic.

"I haven't said it a million times." I rolled my eyes at her, only to earn an eyeroll back.

"Sure mum." She mocked, returning to her phone. The school building came into view and I heard her quietly groan to herself when she saw it. I chuckled, bringing the car to a stop right at the side of the pavement.

"Remember darling, don't make any plans for tomorrow. We're visiting Uncles Cam and Harry for the day." I called out to her as she got out of the car.

"Yeah, I remember. At least I'll have Darcy to hang out with." She complained, muttering the last sentence to herself. I was glad her and Cameron's adopted daughter were close enough in age to be able to spend time together during our gatherings. She pushed the door closed, turning around and walking away.