Chapter 13

Xav lifted his head higher and stared at me intensely. He studied me with deep blue eyes, and I knew that he was wondering what I had said.

"Cass..." Jack said. Surprise filled his voice when I said that, and I had a feeling he hadn't expected me to say something like that. "Qu- (Wh-)" He stopped talking when I interrupted him.

"Non non. Ne demandez pas, (No, no. Don't ask,)" I said, interrupting him. "Je ne sais pas pourquoi j'ai dit ça. (I don't know why I said that.)"

My group looked at each other, and I had a feeling that they were curious and wanted to know but knew better than to ask. Finally, they looked at me with an unreadable expression on their faces.

"Sont-ils là? (Are they there?)" Jack asked, and I knew that he was talking about the tree people.

It was no secret to them that I had people that watched over my every move. They knew that they, whoever they were, would be watching out for me and making sure that I'd be safe in the woods or even buildings.

They couldn't sense them, but they knew that I could. They learned how to read me to notice when they would be near us and would act accordingly.

It was our little secret against them.

"Oui, (yes,)" I replied. "Ils sont là. (They are there.)"

"Combien? (How many?)" Mack asked.

"Six, (six,)" I replied.

They looked at each other and then at me. There was something on their faces that I didn't understand and didn't like, so I scowled, waiting for them to include me in their little secret conversation.

However, they didn't say a word, and I knew that they weren't going to say anything about that secret look nor the secret conversation that they just had. It was as if they knew something that I didn't about a world that was somewhat hidden from me.

It was secrets in the dark, talked in hushed whispers when I was around, and I would sometimes catch people giving me secret glances when they thought I wasn't paying attention. My friends were a part of that world, and they didn't realize that I knew about some secrets that were hidden from me.

I couldn't figure out what the secret was, but I knew that I had to be patient because, in the end, everything would be revealed to me, but it was hard for me to be patient, especially when there were times when it felt like they were more intuned with the world than I was.

I groaned and leaned my head against Xav, and they all looked at me, confused. "Arrêtez avec ces conversations secrètes devant moi, (Stop with those secret conversations in front of me,)" I complained. "Je ne sais pas pourquoi vous recommencez tous. (I don't know why you all are doing it again.)"

Jack smirked and cocked his head, and I rolled my eyes and scowled. Amusement filled his eyes while he studied me, and my scowl deepened. "Parce que ça dérange la merde hors de toi, (Because it annoys the shit out of you,)" he teased, and I rolled my eyes again. "Sinon, pourquoi le ferions-nous? (Why else would we do it?)"

I shrugged and grimaced, and he grinned triumphantly because he knew that I couldn't find another reason. "Je ne sais pas, (I don't know,)" I replied. "Couldn't you be nicer to me?" I asked and closed my eyes. "I mean, I am the one that is farther away from everyone."

"Well, it means that we can be meaner without consequences," Jack retorted, and I raised an eyebrow in question. "I mean, you can't hit us any longer."

"No, but I can," Mack said and slapped him, and he yelped and moved away from her, almost sending the laptop flying off the bed.

"Ow!" he exclaimed, and he fixed the camera until they were both seen again. He narrowed his eyes and scowled at his twin, and his twin grinned. "What was that for?" he asked and glared at her.

"That was for Cass," Mack said with a smug smile, "and boy, that felt amazing."

I snorted and bit back an amused grin, and I felt happy and grateful that Mack had smacked her twin for me. "I hope that you don't do anything else, or else I will have Mack smack you again."

"Ya, Jack!" Mack exclaimed and raised her hand to hit him again.

"No!" Jack said and moved out of Mack's way before she could hit him. "Stop trying to hit me!"

"Settle down, you two," I teased, letting out a small laugh, and they looked at me. "There is no need to keep hitting each other."

The twins rolled their eyes and scowled. "Whatever," they said, and I snorted.

"So, what were you doing before we called?" Kayla asked, changing the subject while she did her makeup. "Besides hanging out with your friend."

"I was doing some of Charlie's homework," I said. I rolled my eyes and scowled before I groaned, annoyed. "He's giving me twice the amount of work than other students again," I complained, and they snickered. "I mean, am I that terrible of a student that I need double the amount of work than the other students?"

"Yes," Jack and Mack said in unison, and I gasped in shock while I placed my hand over my mouth and looked at them. They looked at each other and grinned before they looked at me. "Hey, you are the one that asked."

"Hmph," I said and pouted, and they snorted, amused. I sighed and moved a hand across my face before I grew serious. "I wonder if I can't make him send you guys extra work so that you can suffer with me," I said.

"No!" they exclaimed except for Ren, and I smirked.

"We've suffered enough, Cass," Jack said. "It's a blessing that he is gone because it means that we don't have to suffer with you."

"You could always try to find someone else to suffer with you," Kayla suggested, and I grimaced and shrugged. "I mean, have you found any friends yet?"

I furrowed my brows and dipped my head closer to my chest while I thought about it. "I think Bryson is my friend," I said. "Other than that..." I shrugged and grimaced before I groaned. "Why is making friends so hard?" I complained, and they bit back a snicker. "I mean, am I not good enough?"

The desperation and sadness in my voice had Xav looking at me and whining, and I turned my attention to him. Worry filled his eyes while he studied me, and I couldn't help but wonder what was going on behind those blue eyes of his.

"You're more than enough, Cass," Jack soothed, and I looked at him instead of my wolf. "So keep your head up, and you'll make more friends." He paused and cocked his head while he studied me, and there was a glint of mischief and knowledge in his eyes that I picked up on. "You never know; you might make a pack full of them."