Chapter 16

My dad stopped in front of a place that I could only describe as a building where they built cars or used to be an army bunker. The old metal tin building looked so out of place from the rest of the shops that I couldn't help but wonder why no one was gawking at it. It was as if the town knew that it was there and didn't care that it looked out of place, especially since there was no sign on the door to say what it was.

"Are you sure that you are at the right place?" I asked while my dad parked the car and turned it off. I warily stared at the building, my whole body growing tense. My heart pounded steadily in my chest, and I was ready to protect my family if need be, even though a part of me had a feeling that I wouldn't have to. "I mean, this place doesn't look like it should be a dojo or something of that nature."

"I'm at the right place," my father replied. He turned to look at me and smirk, but there was a little bit of worry in his eyes. He had no idea how I was going to react going into this building, and I had a feeling he had no idea how the inhabitants would react to me. "Why?" he asked and raised an eyebrow while his smirk grew deeper. "Are you scared?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. I was not scared of some building nor its inhabitants, but that didn't mean I trusted it. "Just a little leery," I replied. I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "I mean, are you sure that you want to let your seventeen-year-old daughter train in a place that isn't marked?"

My father nodded. "Absolutely," he replied, and I could tell that he was telling the truth. He opened the door to his car, and I sighed and rolled my eyes while I opened mine. "Come on; I'll walk you to the door," he said and winked. "Just so you feel a little better."

I rolled my eyes again and scowled. "Ha, ha. Very funny, Dad," I said sarcastically, and he beamed. I looked at my mother to see that she hadn't moved from her spot. I noticed her hands shaking, and I could tell that she was worried, but I didn't say anything about it.

My mother took a deep breath and looked at me. She smiled at me, but the smile didn't reach her worried eyes. "I will be staying in here while you two go in," she said. She cleared her throat and looked away as if my gaze could penetrate her soul and see what secrets she hid, which in a strange way, I could. "Go on in and get accumulated with everything," she said while she looked at me again. "If you don't like the place nor the inhabitants, then you don't have to go there. We'll find a different place for you. Ok?" She raised an eyebrow in question and waited for me to answer.

I pressed my lips into a thin line but nodded, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to change their minds. I knew that they were worried for some reason about this place and its inhabitants, but they knew that this place would be good for me, which was why they were letting me make the decision and not them.

So with a soft sigh, I cleared my throat and nodded again. "Ok," I said. "I'll see you in a little while." And with that, I closed the door and started to walk towards the building with my father trailing close behind, watching my back and making sure that I was safe.

***

I stood in front of the steel door and looked at it with narrowed eyes. I could feel my father watching me, amused with my behavior, but I didn't care while I stared at it.

"You know," my father mused, "it's not going to open up by itself. Knock on it."

I rolled my eyes at my father before I turned my attention back to the door. I took a deep breath before I knocked on the door, doing this old signal knock that felt right.

The little slit in the door opened, and a pair of dark green eyes stared at me. They grew wide and were filled with relief before they became narrowed and filled with "distrust."