Chapter 22

"Will I be able to explore the rest of the building tomorrow?" I asked Sergio on the way back to the front of the building where my present was. I folded my arms across my chest and dipped my head closer to my chest while I waited for his answer.

I wanted to stay and to explore, but I knew that I couldn't because my family was waiting for me, praying that I would come back to them, which I would always do.

Sergio shrugged and grimaced. "I don't see why not," he said, and I nodded. "I think that Commander and them will help show you around the place." He glanced at me from the corner of his eye before he looked forward and raised an eyebrow. "What are you looking forward to seeing?" he asked, and I shrugged in response.

"I don't know," I replied because I didn't. "Anything and everything." I licked my lips and cleared my throat. "I want to see the secrets of this place that not a lot of people get to see. Ya know?" I glanced at him from the corner of my eye and saw him nod. Again, I cleared my throat and looked forward. "I know that this place has to have a lot of secrets."

"And why would this place have that?" Sergio asked and looked at me with a raised eyebrow. He didn't say that there weren't any, and I had a feeling that it was because he knew that I would know if he lied to me or not since I had proven myself more than capable of doing so.

I shrugged and grimaced. "I mean, it has to deal with the archetype and all of that," I replied. "It's a lot smaller on the outside than it is inside the building, so why wouldn't there be something that no one else sees?"

Sergio shrugged but didn't respond. There was this sadness that filled his eyes while we drew closer to the door and the outside world. He knew that I wouldn't be able to spend all of my time here, but I had a feeling that he wanted me to, even if it wasn't possible.

I sighed and moved a hand through my hair before I cleared my throat. I looked around before I looked at Sergio, sensing that there was more than just him here. I could feel them watching and protecting me, even though I was with them and didn't need protection from them.

Sergio sighed and shook his head before he cleared his throat. "That is up to Commander," he said, answering my question, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes, unimpressed.

"It is," Sergio insisted, knowing full well that I didn't like his answer. "Commander is the one in command. He gets to dictate if you get to see the rest of the building or not, not me nor anyone else has that power besides him."

I pressed my lips into a thin line and folded my arms across my chest while I narrowed my eyes and scowled at the ground. "Then I guess that I have to sneak around then," I grumbled under my breath, even though I knew that Sergio could hear me and possibly the others as well.

Sergio snorted and nudged my shoulder playfully. "Just don't get caught," he said as if he knew that whatever he said wouldn't change my mind and that I would still go behind his back and do it.

I shrugged and grinned while a wave of excitement washed over me because it sounded like a challenge. "It's hard to catch me if I don't want to get caught doing something I am not supposed to," I said.

Sergio hummed and nodded while a small smile flickered on his lips, and a faraway look appeared in his eyes. "That it is," he mumbled under his breath.

"Hmmm?" I asked, and he jerked his head towards me and stared at me with wide eyes. I cocked my head and studied him curiously. "What did you say?"

Sergio shook his head and gulped. "Nothing, nothing," he said, stuttering. "I didn't say anything." His heart rate picked up, and I narrowed my eyes at him and scowled because I knew that he was lying.