Chapter 45

The rest of the school day flew by, and I could finally breathe when I stepped out of those stupid doors, knowing that I wouldn't have to step foot in them until the following day.

I looked around the school grounds when I felt eyes on me and didn't see anyone looking at me until I looked at the teacher's parking lot and saw a man leaning against one of the cars.

I frowned when I noticed him leaning against the car and had a feeling that it was Vice Principal Triste's car.

The male's eyes grew wide with shock when he caught me staring at him, and I had a feeling that I wasn't supposed to. He stayed near the car and grew paler while I started to walk towards him to figure out why he was standing in front of her car.

"Cass!" someone exclaimed from behind me, and I turned around to see Bryson running towards me from the school building. Worry filled his eyes, and he looked skeptical and nervous about something. "Wait up!"

I bit back a sigh of annoyance and looked towards the teachers' cars again to not see that male standing there, and I frowned while I glanced around to see if I couldn't spot him anywhere else. However, I couldn't, and that left me confused and curious.

Bryson touched my elbow and stopped me from searching for that male, and I flinched when he touched me. "Cass?" he asked. "Are you ok?"

"Huh?" I asked and focused my attention on him. I frowned when I saw a frown on his face and blinked. "What?" I asked, rubbing my eyes and trying to focus my gaze on him. "What's wrong? What happened?"

Bryson scowled and rolled his eyes while he studied me and cocked his head. "You tell me," he said, not answering my question. "What happened? Are you ok?"

I sighed and shook my head before I moved a hand across my face again. "Ya, ya, I am fine," I said, even though I wasn't sure I was fine. "I'm fine."

Again, I looked towards the spot where the person was standing before he disappeared into thin air. "I am pretty sure that I am just seeing things. But other than that, ya, I'm fine." I looked at him again.

However, I wasn't. There had been someone there, watching me, studying me with eyes that were a soft gray and reminded me of a man so long ago that it happened in another lifetime.

Damn you, Cassandra, I thought, and I couldn't help but imagine her evil cackling at me, watching me suffer the pain from going through her memories.

Bryson frowned and cocked his head. He furrowed his brows while he studied me before he looked towards the spot where I had seen someone and didn't see anyone standing there. "Are you s..." He trailed off while he turned to look at me again to see me shaking my head, no.

"I'm well enough to walk," I said. "I do not need a ride to my house, so please stop asking me." I narrowed my eyes teasingly at him and scowled. "But thanks for asking anyway."

Bryson smiled a little before he slowly nodded. "I might keep asking until you say yes," he warned, and I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Well, I hope you don't mind your heart being broken every time I say no," I shot back, and he shrugged before his smile turned softer.

If only you knew... It seemed to say, taunting me and giving me the idea that he knew something that he shouldn't. If only you knew...

I pressed my lips into a thin line and turned away from him, feeling annoyed while I started to walk the way that I needed to go to get home.

"So what are you going to do when cross country starts?" Bryson asked while he caught up to me. He didn't say a word about why I had left him standing there, and I had a feeling that he knew what I caught his smile saying. "Are you going to leave earlier to get here?"