Chapter 55

The next morning came earlier than I liked, and I was up when my alarm blared, indicating that it was time for me to get up and start the day.

I groaned in annoyance and grabbed my alarm clock, groggy as fuck. I threw the alarm clock at the opposite wall with all my might, and it broke as soon as it hit the wall.

Sighing, I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling feeling... off. I had no idea what was wrong, but I knew that something was off, something didn't sit right with me, and it was making me be on edge.

Goddess, please don't let this be a whole day thing, I silently prayed while I closed my eyes. I don't need to lose my temper with someone if it does.

The feeling didn't go away like I hoped it would, and all I could do was groan and get up before my mother came knocking to see if I was up.

She'll ask about the clock, I thought with pursed lips and glanced at the clock lying in pieces against a now dented wall. And wonder what is wrong when I don't even know.

I shook my head and started to get ready for my run, wondering if Xav would be waiting for me or if he was busy.

My heart skipped a beat when I thought about him and a small smile appeared on my face.

Maybe even Bryson will be there, I thought while I got ready, picking up my speed slightly because I wanted to get done getting dressed and out of the house. And maybe they can help me understand why I feel so off...

***

Sure enough, both Bryson and Xav were waiting on the path for me when I made it outside, and Xav looked very annoyed to have his son beside him.

"Brybry," I cooed happily when I saw Bryson and walked over to him, giving Xav the "cold" shoulder. "How are you today?"

I started to pet him, biting back a grin when Xav let out a very large humph.

Bryson wagged his tail and whined happily. He nudged my arm and whined again, telling me hello and that he was excited to see me too.

Again, Xav let out another large humph when I continued to ignore him before he finally pushed his way between me and his son.

"Hey," I laughed when Xav shoved his head towards me, and I had to catch myself before I tripped. "That's not nice." I moved a hand through his fur, and he grumbled happily while he closed his eyes. "But I am happy to see you too, Xav. Did BryBry come without your permission?"

Xav grunted his response and closed his eyes. He didn't care that Bryson was with us, but that didn't mean I could ignore him while I petted his son.

I snorted and rested my head against his, closing my eyes while I enjoyed his warmth. "But I have seen you more times than him," I replied. "So I can ignore you if I want."

Bryson snickered while Xav huffed, annoyed. He said something to his father, and Xav growled his response, earning another snort from the son.

I sighed and closed my eyes further, continuing to rest my head on Xav's. "I don't want to go to school today, Xav," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "Well, I don't want to go to school at all but more importantly today," I mumbled. I grimaced and bit back a groan of annoyance. "I feel... off for some reason, and I have no idea why."

Xav whined and nudged me. He was worried and wondered if something happened at school that made me feel off.

I shook my head, no and sighed, deciding against telling him about Triste and what she had done to me, since that didn't make me feel off. "I did get into a "fight" at school yesterday," I said.