Chapter 50

The rest of the afternoon flew by and so did the evening until it was almost time for me to go to practice.

After I had discussed what had happened to Kayla with Xav and had to calm him down before he could kill Treble, we talked about the letter and what it meant for my future and the future of those that were with me.

Chewie had calmed my nerves some and helped with the guilt that I felt surrounding the school, but there was still that small bit of doubt that always went. I could have stopped it if I was there from the beginning, then I wouldn't be in this mess.

Xav helped me with that too, but I could tell that he didn't want me to go that far, and in all honesty, I didn't either, not since my soul was tied with his.

After that, I went home and quickly changed for my training with Commander and my "group", my heart pounding in excitement. I needed to let off this pent off energy and the anger that I felt, and I hoped that I would be able to fight someone and show them what I could do and what I have learned.

Maybe Zaria is staying late... I thought with a small smirk on my face while I pulled a t-shirt over my head. Then I want to see what she has to say.

"Cass!" my mother exclaimed from the bottom steps. "Come on, let's go, or else you're going to be late."

"Coming," I said and pulled on my shoes, grateful that I had decided to wear dark pants to school. I ran down the steps with my shoelaces untied while I pulled my hair into a braid. "Did you make me a quick snack to eat?" I asked while I finished putting my hair into a braid.

Relief filled my mother's eyes when I asked for food, and she nodded. "Yes," she said before she cleared her throat because her voice had sounded breathless. "It's in the car with your father. He took it while I was waiting for you."

I slowly nodded, and the air in the room became stiff because of the tension between us. I cleared my throat and looked away from her while I shifted on my feet, nervously. "Uh... Mom?" I asked hesitantly, not looking at her.

"What is it, Dear?" my mother asked.

I dug the tip of my toe into the ground, being careful not to step on my shoelaces. "I... just want to say that I am sorry for the way that I had acted this afternoon. I didn't mean t- Oof." I wrapped my arms around her when she flung herself on me and hugged her tight.

Tears filled my eyes, but I didn't let it fall because I had done enough crying today. However, that didn't stop my bottom lip from shaking.

"I forgive you," my mother said, and her voice cracked and was barely above a whisper. "I am sorry too, Cassie. I should have known how you had still felt, but you seemed to be taking everything with stride, and I d-"

"Mom," I said with a chuckle in my voice while I patted her back. "It's fine. I understand. You were wanting the best future for me and thought that I'd like to try out for my dream school for an undergrad program."

"I always want what is best for you, Dear," my mother said. She pulled away first and rested a hand on my cheek while she smiled and studied me. "If it means going to Juilliard, then so be it. If it isn't, then that is ok. I want you to do whatever makes you happy."

I raised an eyebrow and smirked while I dipped my head closer to my chest. "Does that mean I can be..?" I raised my eyebrow higher.

My mother chuckled and shook her head. "Besides that," she said, knowing full well that I was talking about being homeschooled instead of completing high school at a new place. "Give it a couple of days, and you will be making friends."

"And enemies," I grumbled and wrinkled my nose in disgust while I thought about Cal. "I got sent to the principal's office today before school."

"What?" my mother asked with a shocked laugh. She stroked my cheek before she let go and started to walk towards the front door while I followed.