Chapter 43

The new group that was in front of me looked at each other before they looked at the group that was on the other side of the phone screen and me. Their faces were grave and nervous, and I had a feeling that they were worried about Cal.

"Cal is an innocent," I said and took a bite out of my food before I covered my mouth. "Even if I dislike his guts, I can't hurt him... badly."

"Badly as in..?" Yaz trailed off and raised an eyebrow. Worry for her brother filled her eyes, and I had a feeling that she thought I would hurt him much worse than I anticipated if he did attack me.

"Badly as in kill," I replied and shrugged. "He's on the right path to get his ass handed to him, but he isn't on the right path for me to go full on "beast mode" as Jack likes to say." I gave him an annoyed look, and he grinned before he shrugged.

"Hey, you do have that mode," he said. "I am just glad that it has never been directed towards me."

Yaz furrowed her brows and looked down while she bit her lip. "Should... my brother be worried?" she asked, finally, and looked up at me. Worry filled her eyes, and I had a feeling that she was more worried about her brother than he was.

I offered her a small smile and shook my head no. "He won't be able to get to that point, not in the matter of a few days, if he doesn't do anything too stupid," I said.

Yaz raised an eyebrow. "Like?" she asked.

"Kill someone that is innocent," I replied. I shrugged and ate some of my food. "I might have exploded something in chem lab, but I knew that no one was going to get hurt except for that sub's pride." I shrugged and smirked. "She didn't want to be there anyway."

"But that didn't mean you could blow something up, Miss Lanchester, and could have potentially caused someone harm," Copo said, and I grinned. He gave me a pointed look, and my grin grew wider. "It doesn't matter that your father is a chemical engineer and that you have been doing formulas for as long as you remember."

I shrugged. "Not as long as I have been fighting but sure," I replied.

"So my brother is safe?" Yaz asked.

"Unfortunately," I replied and wrinkled my nose in annoyance, and she snorted but looked relieved. "However, I will kick his ass if he decides to be a dick to me."

Yaz gestured as if to say, "be my guest." "His head is getting a bit too big for his britches anyway," she said. "I am sure that it'll take someone as "lowly" as you to bring him down a few pegs."

I snorted and pressed my lips together before I looked at Bryson. "He isn't worth anything with that headspace," I said, my tone firm and hard. "If he is a leader or a second in command or whatever, then he does not need to be. That is how wars and shit are started because men will think with their ego or their other brain and not with their actual head."

The new group that "wanted" me to be a part of their group looked at each other in silence before they looked at Bryson to see what he had to say about my remark.

Bryson was silent while he studied me. He reached for his plate and pulled something off of it, and started to eat it while he studied me further before he looked at Charlie to see what he had to say.

Charlie shrugged and didn't respond. He cocked his head and studied me, slowly chewing something that he had put in his mouth before I said something.

I furrowed my brows and looked at them. "What?" I asked while I looked at them, confused. "I mean, it's true; isn't it?" I looked at Charlie when I said that.