Chapter 41

"I need you to talk to Felicity," I heard Charlie say when we were close but not close to his room, and I had to glance at Bryson to make sure that he couldn't hear what was being said. "She tried to put Cassidy under a truth spell due to protocols of this school, but that shouldn't have happened, especially since she doesn't understand exactly what is happening here."

There was a pause while the person on the other end of the line said something, and even with my advanced hearing, I couldn't hear what was discussed.

Charlie sighed, and I had a feeling he rubbed a hand across his face. "It didn't in the beginning," he said tiredly. "She was able to block the spell and still had that fiery look in her eyes, but when I asked her how it felt..." He trailed off, and I had a feeling that he shook his head. "The look in her eyes had me pissed and wanted me to blow my cover." His voice cracked, and I felt guilty for making him so pissed.

But what does he mean about blowing his cover..? I silently wondered. Was he one of the tree people that was sent to "protect" me?

As soon as that entered my brain, I had this gut feeling that what I thought was true.

Charlie was one of the tree people that watched over me, and unlike the others, he never swapped out, not unless he had to be at school for whatever reason or did something that I told him to do.

He was the one that followed Xav home to make sure that he got home safely.

I paused midstep when I realized that, and my eyes grew wide when that realization dawned on me.

"Cass?" Bryson asked when I stopped mid step. He frowned and turned towards me, his gray eyes filled with concern and worry. "What is it?" he asked and stopped in front of me. "What happened?"

I shook my head and cleared my throat, deciding to worry about that later and see if I couldn't get Charlie to confess to being a tree person. "Nothing," I said, glad that my voice didn't shake like I thought it would. I cleared my throat again just in case while I looked at Bryson. "I just realized how hungry I was."

My stomach growled as soon as I uttered those words, and a blush started at the base of my neck and slowly made its way up my face.

"See?" I asked. "My belly sounds like a dying whale."

It let its presence known again, and Bryson smiled amused.

However, I could tell that a part of him didn't believe me, but he wouldn't push as if he knew that I wouldn't tell him the real reason why I froze.

"Was that your stomach?" Grayson asked, walking over to us with the rest of the group. He smiled amused, and his eyes were filled with humor. "Or am I imagining things?"

I groaned and dipped my head closer to my chest. "That is my stomach," I said and gestured for Bryson to continue towards Charlie's classroom. "Don't ask me why it sounded like that because I don't know, but it does when I am super hungry."

"So I take it that it has happened many times?" Grayson asked and raised an eyebrow.

I raised an eyebrow, mimicking him before I nodded, my cheeks turning a darker shade of red. "It has," I said. "Jack calls it the signal of me needing food." I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips. "It gets louder the longer it goes on, and I don't want that to happen..."

Reggie moved to my other side and glanced at me before he looked forward. He was nervous; I could tell, but he knew that I'd be able to talk to him, which was why he was willing to speak. "Müssen Sie täglich viele Kalorien zu sich nehmen? (Do you have to eat a lot of calories every day?)" he asked.