Chapter 1- Present

I sat on a wall in front of my new school and waited for the male that had become a friend of mine over the summer to arrive. I chewed my lip while waited for him, praying that he would show up when he said he would and hoping that he hadn't stood me up.

Come on, I thought, becoming more nervous as people walked past me and greeted those that they knew after a summer apart. I watched as friends hugged and greeted each other, feeling slightly jealous that I would be doing that with the friends that I had made during the school year because I was new to this school and town. I pursed my lips while I waited and fiddled with my brown hair. Where are you?

People cast curious glances at me while they chatted about whatever they had done that summer. Some of them decided to talk about me, wondering who I was and why I was sitting on the wall where someone else usually sat. No one made a move towards me, not wanting to deal with the new girl that didn't know her "place," whatever that meant.

I sighed, pulled my gaze away from the people around me, and looked at the road, pursing my lips further. "Come on, Bryson," I muttered, swinging my legs back and forth, raking my hands through the tip of my braid. "Where are you?"

A black car came up the school's driveway, and all talking ceased while it stopped in front of the wall that I was sitting upon.

A deep longing filled my body while I took in the details of that car as if I knew the person that drove it, wanting to see past the tinted windows to see eyes of blue filled with whatever emotion I did not know.

I grimaced and shook my head when my head started to hurt while I tried to think of a past that I didn't remember, that I couldn't remember for some reason as if there was a mental blockage blocking that away from me. I bit back a huff and rubbed the bridge of my nose before I removed my hand and waited patiently for the person to leave the vehicle, wondering if this was Bryson.

The car door opened, and a leg appeared out of the car. The people around me seemed entranced in that leg, and I had to keep from rolling my eyes because I had no idea why people could be entranced by something like that.

The rest of the body followed that leg until a male got out of the car, his golden blonde hair shining in the morning sunlight, while he retrieved his bag from the car and said something to the driver inside.

Slinging the bag over his shoulder, the male turned around until gray eyes met mine and seemed to lighten up when he noticed me on top of the wall, waiting for him. He dipped his head in greeting while he made his way towards me, ignoring the looks and calls from the others surrounding us.

"Cass," he said, nodding his head. "How are you today?" He cocked his head and studied me with gray eyes that reminded me of mine.

"Good," I said, kicking my feet back and forth and not getting down from my perch. "Nervous about being here." I shrugged and grimaced, not knowing how others would react to me.

The male, Bryson, shrugged his shoulder. "They'll get used to you," he said. He cocked his head and smirked. "Are you having trouble getting down?" he teased, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

"I am 5'9, and you are 6'4. We are close in height, Stupid," I said, earning an amused smile from him. I nodded to the car while the driver started to drive away, slowly. "Who's that?" I asked, and Bryson followed my gaze and watched the car.

"My dad," he replied. He shrugged before he turned his gaze back to me. "He takes me to school and picks me up."

"Why don't you drive?" I asked, tearing my gaze away from the car and onto him. "I am sure that you can drive. You are like nineteen."

"Well, why don't you?" he retorted, and I rolled my eyes. He folded his arms across his chest and scowled, but a small smile wanted to appear on his lips.

I gave him a weird look. "Because I live about two miles away from school, and I don't need to drive a car drive here."

"Two miles?" he asked, widening his eyes in "shock" while he opened his mouth wide as well. "You live two miles and walk to school. Why do you do that to yourself?"

"Because I like to walk," I replied, rolling my eyes at him because I had no idea what the big idea was. "Unlike you, I am not lazy." I grabbed my bag and hopped off the wall until I was on the sidewalk beside him. "I don't need my parents to drive me to school."

Bryson scowled and grabbed my bag from me before he started to make his way towards the school. "It's not my fault that my dad wants to drop me off," he said, ignoring the scowl that I sent his way. "He is worried that I'll skip school if he doesn't."

I bit back a snort and rolled my eyes but followed him. I was amused that his father would think he would skip school, and I had a feeling that he wouldn't. "So, are you ready for another year in hell?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"It's not hell to me," Bryson said, glancing at me when I made it to his side. "Why? Do you not like school?" He furrowed his brows and cocked his head with worry filling his eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders and grimaced. "I sort of don't," I replied, honestly. "It's kind of boring for me to be at school and hang out with people, and since this is my first day here..." My grimace deepened, and I again shrugged.

"You don't know if you'll make friends or not?" Bryson asked. He frowned, and I could feel this sadness coming off of him as if he thought I didn't count him as a friend.

"I thought you were my friend," I said, giving him a weird look. "Or wanted to be friends with me. I thought that is why you came over to me in the first place."

Bryson shrugged and smiled, and I had a feeling that he was relieved. "I do want to be friends with you," he replied. "And, you looked lonely sitting by yourself, so that is why I came over." He opened the door and gestured for me to go through. "Ladies first," he teased, earning an eye roll from me.

I walked through the door, quickly swiping my bag from him, and placed it over my shoulder. "My bag. No touchy," I said, sticking my tongue at the shocked male.

Bryson stared at me with wide eyes and an open mouth. He blinked and then blinked again while I looked at him weirdly. "Did you just take that?" he asked, shocked.

"Well, ya," I said. I furrowed my brows and gave him a weird look. "Was I not supposed to take it from you? I mean, it is my bag, and I wanted to carry it."

Bryson shook his head and rubbed his eyes. "Huh? Oh, no, you could have carried it," he said. "I just didn't expect you to move so fast to get it. You were even fast that I couldn't see you with my um..." He trailed off and cleared his throat before he shifted on his feet. A small red tint came onto his cheeks, and I raised an eyebrow.

"So men do blush," I commented, even though I already knew that. I started to walk some way, and Bryson caught up with me before I got too far ahead. "I've never seen that before."

Bryson snorted. "Very funny," he said dryly. "Where are you going?"

"I have no idea, but you seemed to be stuck in lalaland, so I chose a direction and went with it. If I am going the wrong way, then please lead me to the place to go. I don't want to be late for class."

Bryson chuckled and grabbed my elbow before he twisted me around until we were facing the opposite way. "The front office is that way," he said. "Then we will go to the library and go get our books. You were going the right way for that."

I shrugged. "What can I say? I love to learn, even if I don't like school."

Bryson chuckled and nodded his head. He didn't say a word, but I had a feeling that he agreed with me.

How I knew that I didn't know, but I knew that it was true and knew that my life had changed now that he was by my side. I just didn't know how and prayed that it wasn't for the worse.