Chapter 34

I stopped when I got to the spot where I had first seen Xav and looked around, trying to see if I couldn't spy him nearby. I stayed silent while I looked, loving the quiet and stillness of it all, something that I was only accustomed to in these early morning runs.

The wind blew gently through the trees, stirring the leaves and creating a peaceful noise that broke through the silence but nothing else.

The tree people were silent while they watched me, waiting for me to continue my journey on the path or for Xav to appear out of the thick brush, even though a part of me doubted that he'd be out here this early.

I licked my lips and looked at my watch, deciding to give him fifteen minutes to show up before I'd continue along the path and then go home to get ready for school and the day ahead.

Come on, Xav, I thought and looked around, frowning. Where are you?

I looked off the path that I was on, and my heart yearned to go in that direction, but I knew that I couldn't, not until I was invited... whatever meant.

But that was the way that Xav was... I could feel it in my bones, feel it through this bond that I shared with him, and knew that it was true.

He was that way, doing something besides being with me.

I sighed and shook my head, growing increasingly bored with waiting, even though I had only been waiting for him for about two minutes if that much.

"Damn..." I muttered and moved a hand through my hair before I shook my head. "This sucks."

I groaned and sat down in the middle of the path and started to play with the dirt, bored out of my mind. I was still aware of my surroundings and the peace that was there, even if I wasn't paying attention.

Getting bored of playing with the dirt, I laid down and groaned while I stared at the trees, watching the breeze rustle through the leaves and stirring them until they caused the light to dance between them.

I smiled at the beauty of it, letting my whole body relax, and started to breathe easily while I meditated on the spot, my thoughts drifting to those of last night and how I was finally claimed by those that watched me through my bunny.

The Ten... the breeze seemed to say. They are a part of the group called the Ten.

I blinked and blinked again, knowing full well that what that voice said was true.

They were a part of the group called the Ten, the first Werewolves that were blessed by the Moon Goddess herself to protect the king and the werewolf population.

However... something happened to them; something caused them to hide and live away from the kingdom to protect themselves and those that they swore to protect. They left because...

I groaned when I couldn't figure out why they left and rubbed my face tiredly. "Goddess, geez," I groaned. "What the actual fuck is happening right now?"

Silence. There was no sound, only silence.

However, this silence was different than it was before. This one held a taste of anticipation as if something was on its way. Excitement hung in the air, and I sat up and looked around, my stomach twisting with knots and excitement.

Is he on his way? I hope so. I want to see him.

Something rustled through the bush to my left, and I looked that way to see a wolf, but not the wolf that I was waiting for, and my heart sunk.

Like Xav, he stood about 6'5 at the shoulders, but with his head held high, he was a lot larger than that. He was a lightish grayish color with specks of cream and black caking through his thick fur.