Chapter 77

Charlie rushed into the classroom before the final bell to ring for class to start, looking frazzled and unprepared and unkempt, which was very unlike him. He looked around the room of his stunned pupils before his gaze landed on me.

Relief filled his eyes, and he breathed a small sigh of relief while his shoulders sagged, nodding. "Are you ok?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

I blinked and blinked again, looking shocked and amused that Charlie was worried about me. "Me? Ok?" I asked, and he nodded in confirmation. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head while I studied him. "Why are you worried about me being ok, Mr. Brickson? You're the one that's very flustered." I gestured to him up and down, and he looked at himself before he looked at me again and shrugged, nonchalant.

"I am fine," Charlie said before he cleared his throat and shrugged again. "I just know that you have been outside for cross country practice, and something has been roaring near the school. It's been taken care of, for now."

I narrowed my eyes and scowled, pressing my lips into a thin line. I didn't believe him for one second that it had been taken care of, meaning that the creature had been killed, for they were hard to kill and not many people knew where to strike to kill them.

It won't be long before they want vengeance against anyone that crossed their paths...

"Well?" Charlie asked and raised an eyebrow in question. He looked me up and down before he looked at me again, and I held back an eye roll while I pressed my lips into a thin line. "Are you ok?"

"Yes," I said and nodded in confirmation, knowing full well that he wouldn't honestly answer my question, especially when we are in the presence of those that are "oblivious" to the world around them. "I am fine, Mr. Brickson. We practiced inside today because of the roaring." I cocked my head and furrowed my brows, pressing my lips into a thin line. "Do you know what creature that is? It doesn't sound like anything that I have heard before, and I do not know if I want to hear it again."

Charlie smiled apologetically and shook his head. "I do not," he said, and I could tell that he was lying. He cleared his throat, interrupting me from calling out his bull shit and gave me a look that told me to shut it.

I closed my mouth and pursed my lips in annoyance but didn't say a word while I looked at him.

"Thank you, Cass," he said and nodded before he cleared his throat again and looked around the room. "Now, how is everyone else?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question while he looked around at the classroom. "Did you all do your homework?"

"That thing ate mine," a random student said, and I rolled my eyes and bit back a small snort. "Hey, New Girl, did you roll your eyes at that?"

"I have a name," I said and turned to look at the person that spoke to see that it was a male. I smirked and dipped my head closer to my chest. "And it's not the one that you want to call me, even though I answer that one, too." I flashed him a small wink, and he scowled and narrowed his eyes. "However, yes, I did roll my eyes and bite back a snort."

The male raised an eyebrow in question, pressing his lips into a thin line. "And why would you do that? It's the truth."

"Well, because you are still alive and look to have all of your limbs," I said and leaned back in my seat. I folded my arms across my chest and cleared my throat, tapping my finger against my arm. "That means three things. One, you crossed paths with that beast and didn't set it off, which doesn't happen that often. Two, you are some mystical being and was able to divert its attention and kill it. Or three, you are lying." I winked and smirked. "I'd go with option three if I were you," I said. "You don't want to actually come across that beast."