Chapter 2

"Hey, Mrs. Packston," Bryson said to the lady at the front desk with rainbow-colored hair. He smiled and cocked his head, studying the female that was working on something. "How are you today?"

"Mad that you are making me feel old," the female replied. She looked up, and her sparkling green eyes widened in shock and pain when they landed on me before she smiled and tried to cover her shock. "I guess you are the new person?" she asked, cocking her head, her eyes filled with relief. "I'm May Packston. I'm the front desk person here." She held out her hand, and I hesitantly stuck my hand out and shook her hand.

"Cassidy," I said, offering her a hesitant smile because she looked sort of familiar to me for some reason, even though I had never met her. "Cassidy Lanchester. I go by Cass for short." I caught the sight of tears in her eyes before she turned her head away and cleared her throat.

"Umm..." She cleared her throat again and took her hand from mine. "You are looking for your papers. Correct?" she asked, going through a wide array of papers that were on her desk.

"Yes, Ma'am," I said, shifting my bag over my shoulder a bit more. I shifted on my feet and bit my lip, feeling a little weird that I just called her 'Ma'am,' and from the look on her face, Mrs. Packston felt weird as well.

Bryson hid a shudder and cleared his throat, and Mrs. Packston looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "You have only been working here for a week, and your desk is a mess. Why is that?" he asked, raising his eyebrow too.

She scowled. "Shut up," she said before she went back to get our paperwork together.

"Aunt May isn't that organized, if you can tell," Bryson said, nudging my shoulder. "She can't even drive." He smiled innocently when she stopped looking for our paperwork and scowled. "I can too," she said while she scoffed and rolled her eyes. "It just means that the car will be destroyed."

"She almost destroyed my dad's "baby," and boy was he pissed when he found out about it. It took my cousin, Clara, to come over there and get him to calm down before he did something stupid."

I felt amused when he said that, and a small smile flickered onto my lips when Mrs. Packston snickered. "Was it the black car that you drove up in?" I asked, and he nodded. "Why did you almost destroy it?"

"It was an accident," she said, rolling her eyes. She chuckled and found the paperwork for us. "Here you are," she said, handing me a little more paperwork than she gave Bryson. "Here are the school rules and what you should and shouldn't wear." She shrugged, and I had a feeling that she didn't like the dress code. "There is also a map of the school as well as the courses you are taking. The room numbers are already marked, and your locker number is on your schedule. Everything else, I am sure that Bryson can cover, so get out of my office." She narrowed her eyes playfully at Bryson, and Bryson rolled his eyes in response.

"Come on," he said. He placed his hand on my elbow and started to lead me away from Mrs. Packston. "Let's leave her alone and get to class. We don't need to be late because someone is a talker."

"I hadn't said that many words!" Mrs. Packston exclaimed. "Bye, have fun at school. Play nice with the other children. And do not set the school on fire."

I cringed because I had a feeling that she was talking to me because I had a feeling that there was something in my record that indicated I had almost burnt my first high school down last year. "Was she talking about you or me?" I asked when we were out of the office and out of earshot from her.

Bryson turned his head and raised an eyebrow. An amused flickered on his lips, and he cocked his head while he studied me. "Why? Did you almost burn the school down, too?"

I groaned and covered my cheeks when they turned a little red and nodded. "Yes," I replied. "I almost burnt the school down during science. It wasn't my fault. I got bored with what the teacher was saying and decided to do something else instead."

Bryson chuckled. "Mood," he said, nodding his head. "I did the same thing last school year, too. My dad was half pissed and half-amused when he came to school that day. He made me train harder than normal that day and write an apology letter to the school. What did your parents do?

"Well, they decided to ground me, and my mom had to keep herself from laughing when she found out that I had almost burnt the school down. She warned them that if I get bored, then I might try something else, and I did." I shrugged. "It was a substitute, and I think I freaked her out. She didn't teach any classes at that school anymore after that incident. I don't think she wanted to have me in any other classes."

Bryson laughed and rolled his head back while he did before he placed the paper underneath his arm and turned towards me. Amusement and mischief filled his eyes, and I had a feeling that whatever he had planned would cause a lot of havoc. "So," he said, clasping his hands together. "New plan if we are in the same science class, we need to see if we can't destroy a classroom and get a teacher to quit. Deal?" He raised an eyebrow and held out his hand.

I studied him and cocked my head amused. A small smile appeared on my lips, and I nodded. "Deal," I said, clasping my hand with his before I shook hands with him.

"So," Bryson said, swiping my papers from me, and I let him and rolled my eyes. He looked at my schedule, and a smile appeared on his lips while he looked up and met my gaze. "Let's get your books and go to class. It looks like you are in the same classes with me for just about everything."

"Great," I said, rolling my eyes. "I'm stuck with an idiot."

He didn't reply but laugh and swung his arm around my shoulders before he started to walk towards the library where I would enjoy spending my free time when I was not in class or hanging out with him.