Chapter 57

"Who is this?" Bryson asked via text, and I had to bite my lip to keep myself from grinning like the Cheshire Cat. "Who are you?"

"I'm Batman," I typed back and showed the message to Yaz, who had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. "I can't say that I am your father because that's not true. However, that is besides the point."

Bryson didn't move from the car and read my message. He stayed silent for a bit before he looked at his father and said something, something that I could have heard if I wanted to snoop, but I didn't want to at that moment.

"Do you think that Bryson knows that it's you?" Yaz asked, her voice barely above a whisper. She leaned closer to me while she watched Bryson and his father discuss something.

I shrugged and grimaced. "I don't know," I replied, matching her tone while I kept an eye on the pair. "I think he wants it to be me, but I don't think he wants to get his hopes up, especially since I hadn't messaged him at all over the summer."

"Why haven't you?" Yaz asked. She blushed and ducked her head closer to her chest while she cleared her throat and shifted on her feet. "I don't think you told me..."

I shrugged again, not knowing if I did or not. However, it didn't matter, and I was going to answer her question as honestly as I could. "I guess because he made me anxious for some reason," I said softly before I wrinkled my nose and shook my head while I pursed my lips in annoyance. "I have no idea why he made me nervous, but he did."

But a part of me thinks it's because I'm supposed to be his mom and didn't know how he would react...

"But seriously, why do people like to stare at your leg?" I wrote when Bryson hadn't said anything back and was still talking to his dad. "What is so special about your leg that everyone has to worship it? I don't even think they care about the rest of your body."

Yaz bit back a small snort when she read my text to him. "Did you think that he was going to hurt you?" she asked, and I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Please," I said. "I don't think he would have been able to. Have you seen how happy he becomes when he sees me?" I asked and raised an eyebrow while I gave her a pointed look.

Yaz cocked her head and shrugged while she looked indifferent because she knew how happy he got when he saw me. "True," she said.

"What do you mean?" Bryson asked. "Where are you? How did you get my number?"

"I mean, that everyone stops whatever they are doing and stares at you when your dad pulls in front of the school. They watch your leg when it materializes out of the car before the rest of your body follows."

"How long are you going to let this draw out?" Yaz asked and raised an eyebrow because I didn't answer the rest of his messages. She was amused and watched what I wrote as well as his reactions to my texts.

"I think I am going to end it because I really want some cheese," I replied while I pursed my lips in annoyance. "Even though Charlie hasn't messaged me back, and I don't know if he has any cheese for me." "Charrrrrrrllllllliiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee," I said, sending the text to my teacher. "I need chhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeessssseeeee. Do you have annnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyy for me?"

Yaz bit back a snort while she read the text I sent Charlie before my phone let me know that Bryson messaged me back with a small bzzzzz.

"Where are you?" he had written again. "And how did you get my number?"

I was about to write back to him when Charlie messaged me, and I instantly looked at the text to see that he did in fact have cheese for me. "Yes," I said and did a small dance, happy that he had some cheese for me.